Climate activist Greta Thunberg is Time's Person of the Year

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/climate-activist-greta-thunber.html

17 Likes

Wow, quite an honor. Congratulations Ms. Thunberg! It’ll piss Trump off something fierce, that’s for sure.

29 Likes

33 Likes

well deserved, well deserved. she gives me hope.

21 Likes

“The climate movement does not need any more awards”
“What we need is for our politicians and the people in power start to listen to the current, best available science.”

–Greta Thunberg after declining some other award

30 Likes

Most deserving human on that cover in some time.

27 Likes

Exactly! Well said, hope is the key. With hope, we have a chance. Every setback, every fresh challenge - from the latest terrible research findings to the relocation-of-this-summit - she just sets about working around them, quietly capable and determined, inspirational and encouraging. Godspeed Greta!

17 Likes

Breitbart actually has a neutral article, straight reporting. The comments however…

5 Likes

Time’s “Person of the Year” status isn’t exactly an “award” or even necessarily an honor, it’s an assessment of people who made a major impact of some kind. Hitler and Stalin are among the people so recognized.

23 Likes

They have to find balance between the old ‘fuck the world’ reactionaries and the new genocidal eco-fascists (Who aren’t actually that new, there have been eco-fascists for 100 years now).

7 Likes

I was kind of hoping it would be the Hong Kong protesters.

8 Likes

true, agreed.

But I feel like the reaction to her message is becoming the “thoughts and prayers” of climate change.

“well done Greta, great speech. Now I’m going to jet over to the amazon and cut down trees”. Very similar to the “My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the 300th mass shooting this year, now off to the NRA fundraiser.”

3 Likes

I feel that you are missing the point entirely.

Do something. Make a difference. Be inspired.

Our planet is at stake.

8 Likes

that was exactly my point.
Gun laws need to be passed but all we get is thoughts and prayers.
we need to save the planet but our politicians do nothing, or next to nothing.

Greta is a huge inspiration. I am all for her being Time’s person of the year.

I just wish our government would do something.

4 Likes

The government is not going to do anything; OUR government in particular.

It’s a sludgy system built on slow checks and balances. Semi-decent at responding to the aftermath of a short disaster, BUT exposing citizens to the harsh realities of their status quo life and selling them on rapidly pivoting to avert long-term future disaster is not in line with their modus operandi.

Everyone has something to protect, and climate change is going to rip the scabs off of every surface.

10 Likes

The trick is to take all of the people who are not concerned and refuse to do anything about it because they won’t still be alive when the problems start happening and ensure that this is the case.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way; otherwise you will need to be moved out of the way.

1 Like

In fairness to Time Magazine they called out climate change with their honoree for 1988.

Publication date was 14 years and one day before Greta was born.

10 Likes

“It’s been a long time coming; CHANGE GON’ COME.”

6 Likes

Of course, Irving Pac is my favorite non-human.

8 Likes

This is how the Matrix came about. An array of human Boomer batteries keeping the planet (barely) alive.

1 Like