Clinton apologizes after calling Trump's bigoted supporters "deplorable"

38 Likes

I think we all knew she was a compromised individual to begin with so this shouldn’t be too shocking for her supporters, either ernest or coerced by circumstance.

She’s a superior, more competent and more capable and more experienced piece of corrupt DINO garbage.

5 Likes

To the extent her statement was tactical I think it was aimed at the undecideds rather than Trump supporters. To make them more reluctant to start supporting Trump because they don’t want to throw in with the “deplorables”.

I think the statement was probably a mistake but it could work out if the media starts a fresh analysis of how thrilled the white-supremacists are with Trump (and just how sketchy his inner circle is).

5 Likes

i quote kevin drum, a moderately liberal blogger i read a lot. regarding his mental state since trump became the nominee–

“What the fuck is going on? Donald Trump! Donald fucking Trump! He’s a jackass reality TV star. He’s goddamn clueless. For fuck’s sake, this can’t be happening. Can it? Fucking fuck. Why isn’t anyone calling it out? It’s like Alice in fucking Wonderland. How can we be doing this? Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.”

i feel like i’ve sat down at a restaurant and i’ve been offered a menu with two possible entrees: chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy as one choice and 14 inch chrome tire rims with cyanide and anthrax as the other choice. at the next table is an 8 top of vegans deciding to order the tire rims because they don’t have any animal products.

let me be clear, donald trump is being represented here by the tire rims with cyanide and anthrax. there is no way of truly comparing trump and clinton as candidates or as politicians. it’s not even so much an apples to oranges comparison as much as it is an apples to burning deep sea oil rigs comparison. this election is a choice between a very cautious, utterly conventional democratic candidate and a demagogic, careless, completely abnormal candidate who, while he might represent the most ugly racist streak inherent in the party of cruelty the present day republican party has become, goes so far beyond the norms they have left standing that it is truly breathtaking.

51 Likes

Why are people so worked up about a basket of adorables?

42 Likes

Completely and utterly agreed, top to bottom.

8 Likes

A lot of pundits are comparing this to Romney’s “47%” gaffe, but one key difference is that he was talking about 47% of the voting public, not 47% of his opponent’s supporters.

9 Likes

Deplorables are cheaper by the basket.

3 Likes

The problem with that is that there are likely very few voters undecided between Clinton and Trump, but very many voters undecided between Clinton and “fuck it, we’re screwed no matter which one wins”.

Clinton’s campaign from day #1 has been acting as if they’re deliberately attempting to drive turnout through the floor.

7 Likes

Nothing to add. Nothing to reword, clarify, or remove. Spot on x 1,000,000. Good day sir!

10 Likes

i don’t know who keeps making those eye/mouth photoshop portrait thingies, but i wish they would stop.

14 Likes

15 Likes

Agreed!! He’s freaky enough without those things…

3 Likes

Sadly, what gets lost is what she said afterward:

Now, some of those folks – they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

But the other basket – and I know this because I see friends from all over America here – I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas – as well as, you know, New York and California – but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.

26 Likes

Yes, or at least start doing them the other way, with an eyeball where their mouth would be.

2 Likes

16 Likes

I don’t think she should have said the thing that she said.

My question has to be, though; when did Clinton change from being the most likely first woman President to being one of the worst candidates in history?
It’s mostly PR right, right?
I mean, she’s a centrist, she works hard and across the aisle, she was a very effective junior Senator, and Secretary of State.
Her husbands Presidency wasn’t that bad, was it? It could have been much better, but… it could have been much, much worse. Hell, The other second person from the same family to be President was worse than she could ever be.

15 Likes

Neh, a body could be offended by the statement alone, as an example of the lowering of political discourse, because the candidate decided to condemn the opponent’s supporters when defining them was sufficient if they need be brought up at all.

After the election, these will be the constituents of one or the other.

Also, you left out stupid. They could be stupid and offended. But we can say your “etc” covers that even if it isn’t among those Clinton specified. Stupid is typically a feature of all she did define, and lots of the offended may not even know if they fall in the specified catagories.

I’m not offended, if that’s the worst that Trump supporters can gripe about then Clinton, while still lowering the bar along with everyone else, isn’t stooping to the level of her opponent, who clearly put his bar on the ground and sat on it while daring anyone to try and lift it.

It is sad that she apologized, but lookit, there’s room there for her regret (signifying apology) that she said “half” to have any meaning. She now thinks that was “wrong”.

But wrong in what direction?, it isn’t specified. Could be three-quarters now.

1 Like

33 Likes

How is standing up against racism, bigotry, and xenophobia a bad thing? Your point is Bernie is a better candidate because he would’ve been more delicate with their feelings?

1 Like