Clorox recalls cleaning products possibly tainted with bacteria that could make people seriously sick

Originally published at: Clorox recalls cleaning products possibly tainted with bacteria that could make people seriously sick | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Pine-Sol, the awful scent that never goes away, ever, never ever.

6 Likes
8 Likes

I feel like this is points to a problem with using a “cleaner” that isn’t a soap. The directions say rinsing isn’t required which makes me wonder how clean the surface really is, unless you add a 2nd wash/rinse. Obviously you can’t use soap and water on everything but this is supposed to be for most household surfaces.

2 Likes

Famous as the “blue green pus” bacteria.

2 Likes

I use it up in the cabin, jars with holes punched in the top, to keep bears away. Apparently, they don’t like the smell of it which, also ironically, is supposed to be the scent of pine trees.

11 Likes

They’re not dumb, they’re afraid of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa

5 Likes

Looking at the ingredients, though, it is a soap. It contains SDS, a standard detergent. Not enough to prevent P. aeruginosa contamination I guess?

2 Likes

Article illustrated with images of pine sol… then says pine sol was NOT one of the effected products… then doesn’t say which ones WERE… (yea I could click through but I feel like this is kinda bad clickbaity style)

3 Likes

According to NPR, “the recall doesn’t include its iconic original pine-scented Pine-Sol, which is its only product registered as a disinfectant.”

After this, I see product line expansion people getting a few side-eyes.

3 Likes

Just once I’d like a story like this to explain how such a bacteria gets into the product.

What kind of quantities of the bacteria were floating around a factory to require a recall. Does it grow in the tank of product? Was it introduced intentionally? Accidentally? Is it naturally occurring? Did plant workers get sick?

So many questions but instead we get, “oh, by the way throw your cleaning product away and go get a refund”.

What happened to reporting, seems like a couple phone calls would make for a more informing article.

6 Likes

Kills 99.99% of germs and bacteria on contact. It’s the 0.01% you really have to worry about.

9 Likes

i always wonder about that. weren’t hospitals having a problem with super-bugs immune to all that stuff specifically because they use a lot of disinfectants/antibacterials? I actually haven’t heard about that since covid. people were like “f that, I’m gonna use the heck out of this stuff anyway”

3 Likes

True for many things, including the wealthy.

4 Likes

Bacteria is pretty ubiquitous it’s on everything.
It’s usually that something set out too long, or some cleaning or decontamination procedure was not being followed.

https://abc7chicago.com/archive/7423692/

Article on j&j contamination incident.

1 Like

Welp, This will unlock a whole new set of anxieties. Yay.

5 Likes

Pine-Sol YOU HAD ONE JOB

3 Likes

Well, isn’t that delightful. Fully explains why I felt ill after mopping this last time - lot number on the bottle falls in the recalled batch. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

10 Likes

Most of the time, they test to the lowest number of “nines” they can get away with. The cost of testing goes up exponentially the more significant figures you want to add. For many pathogens, there are only so many sig digs testing labs will even attempt.

6 Likes

The recall is for Pine-sol products including the ones pictured, just not the “pine-scented” original that also includes discinfectants (and isn’t in the photo). Which pesco says pretty clearly in the post:

3 Likes