Clues and Easter eggs you might have missed in Glass Onion

Originally published at: Clues and Easter eggs you might have missed in Glass Onion | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Can someone explain to me the appeal of this genre of video? They always come across to me as the epitome of smugness and sometimes verging on bullying - someone basically saying “you’re so dumb you would never have understood this, so let me condescend* to tell you about it because I am supremely well-informed and you are not, har-de-har-har.” Even though most of the time when I do make the mistake of watching them, they seem to consist of things like “this 2 here and this 2 here are later put together to make 4, and not 3 as you perhaps expected.”
(It is entirely possible that these examples are not like that. I freely admit that I haven’t watched them to find out.)

*‘condescend’ meaning “to talk down to someone”.

5 Likes

I see what you did there. :wink:

I much prefer the videos where they attack the filmmakers for making dumb mistakes in movies (especially when it comes to things like continuity or historical accuracy), rather than attacking the viewer for not noticing something.

1 Like

If you’re referring to cinema sins that channel is garbage.

I don’t see anything attacking anyone in the videos in the post

5 Likes

I am, but specifically how they used to be around a decade ago, when they focused on straight up errors in movies in videos that were no more than ten minutes. These days, their videos are so bloated that I might as well just watch the whole movie.

1 Like

And they gish gallop through “mistakes” that are not mistakes at all just to inflate the sin count

4 Likes

These examples are not like that and I quite enjoyed both. In particular, I don’t intend to rewatch GO and pause it fifty times to find out the name of some book lying on the floor, then look up the book, and figure out its relevance to the movie. (Definitely I have fallen into some of the bad videos you describe.)

These gave me much more a sense of, if you have many tens of millions to spend on choosing every detail for hours of screen time, how do you make the most of this godlike power? Well, you could just hand off the costuming and set design to underlings, do the minimum, and get your paycheck. Or you could obsess on making every element count, as Johnson evidently does.

For people who like this sort of thing I highly recommend the book about the making of The Big Lebowski with interviews of the costumer, the director of photography, and others (rather than, say, the actors!).

As for videos attacking filmmakers for dumb mistakes, Pitch Meetings is my favorite channel, but my single favorite video in the genre is

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t watch them any more, but their classics from back in the day were a lot more focused. I stopped watching once they started saying something piffy in response to something someone had said onscreen and counted that as a sin. I guess it’s been a good three or four years since they stopped doing good content.

1 Like

CinemaWins is done by the same people and is very positive. I enjoyed their Knives Out episode immensely.

3 Likes

I always thought they were rivals. I’ll have to give them a try.

3 Likes

Apparently, you’re correct. Because the voice, style, and even the font of Cinemawins was the same as Cinemasins, I thought they were the same people. I just checked their About page and they explicitly say they are a counter to Cinemasins.

4 Likes

I quite like watching some of these videos when I feel there is something I may have missed which would make the film more enjoyable with that extra info, but most of them are unneccesary and, as pointed above, a bit smug.

ETA: to cleanse post of below-named gentlemen.

I really enjoyed those! I saw the movie twice and missed many of those clues. The one that really blew my mind was when the detective calls Helen by her real name the first time. I totally missed that even though we all still thought she was Andi at that point.

Ugh. Please don’t post comics from those transphobic alt-right dicks.

2 Likes

I did not know that. Apologies, will correct.

2 Likes

No worries. It’s not as widely known now because they finally figured out they should shut up about it. When their feelings came out about it, they doubled down over and over to the point where mainstream outlets like Wired and Medium were writing about them. This was all back in 2013-2015 and there’s no evidence they’ve adjusted their ignorant world views, but at least they keep it to themselves lately.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.
I used to follow a lot of webcomics from the mid-90’s to about '04, when I shifted abroad for a while.

So many things have changed (or, in the case of these two, come to light).
One of my faves was real-life-comics. I had not visited the site in over ten years and, when I did, was confused as anything until I realised that the writer had transitioned (I had to scroll back a few years).

Maeve’s transition in that comic put a lot of things in perspective for me, as I’d had a friend of mine transition in the 90’s. I feel I understand them better now, thanks to that webcomic.

edited to change “go through this” to “transition” after about five seconds of thought.

1 Like

You lost me at “larded”…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.