CNN And BBC Sites Down

I am unable to access the CNN or BBC News sites from Japan, but from what I’m seeing online, it’s not just me (see link below). Any idea what’s going on? Anyone care to wildly speculate? It seems odd that both sites are down simultaneously.

CNN is showing a “connection failure” on Windows Chrome and BBC News is a 503 error. On Android Chrome, it’s 503 for CNN and “unknown domain” for BBC.

1 Like

BBC seems up now for me in the US.

1 Like

Twitterati say it’s a failure by fastly.

2 Likes

If I go through Google to BBC, it goes to the main site for two seconds and then I get a connection failure error. Spooky.

Update: BBC works in a Private Window only for me.

1 Like

Also, not that anyone cares, but Fox News is not loading images.

Also down: NYT

Still Up: Japanese (.co.jp) CNN and BBC sites seem unaffected.

Yeah, it looks like fastly is down. The question is, why?

1 Like

It’s breaking news at the BBC, if you can see it

3 Likes

Reddit is down too. It’s looking like an issue with Fastly. I’m hoping this is not an attack; these things happen.

Update: BBC is back up. CNN and Reddit are still down.

Global Fastly outage takes down many on the wibbly web – but El Reg remains standing

1 Like

It looks like what’s left of the news media is finally starting to cover what’s going on.

Also, Update: Reddit seems to be back up. CNN is up as long as you go to the International Site (the US Site is still not working).

3 Likes

Have they tried unplugging the Internet and plugging it back in again?

17 Likes

Fastly ’fesses up to breaking the internet with an ‘an undiscovered software bug’ triggered by a customer

[…]
“a customer pushed a valid configuration change that included the specific circumstances that triggered the bug, which caused 85 per cent of our network to return errors.”
[…]

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.