CNN: Uvalde sheriff stayed away from scene of massacre, lied about when he later arrived, then failed to share info about shooter

Originally published at: CNN: Uvalde sheriff stayed away from scene of massacre, lied about when he later arrived, then failed to share info about shooter | Boing Boing

9 Likes

When will they learn that lying in the age of easily verifiable information just won’t work.

Sure, lie about WHY. Or what you “feared for” or what have you, but stuff people can just check a time stamp on?

18 Likes

I’m outta words to describe how colossally terrible every aspect of their handling of that situation was. I can’t stop following the news on this story as it gets worse and worse.

13 Likes

I gotta stop reading the news. Seems like every public figure these days is a piece of shit.

Yeah, yeah. Confirmation bias and all that, I know. But still…

10 Likes

I assume that it’s a well-entrenched habit; but this seems like the sort of situation where outright lying seems like a potential risk.

Being arbitrarily incompetent and cowardly isn’t good, but it’s generally accepted as legal; while lying is normally tolerated but is technically forbidden. Hopefully they’ll take advantage of that.

5 Likes

There seems to be no bottom. At this point I’m waiting for the inevitable reveal that the cops somehow provided the shooter’s weapons or otherwise caused the shooting to happen in the first place, rather than merely failing to stop it.

13 Likes

Cops are so used to lying that it’s really, really hard for them to get out of the habit.

13 Likes

I think that nobody, whose formative years were before the advent of ubiquitous cellphone cameras (and I’m in this category myself) will ever fully, viscerally understand this.

I’ve been expecting for a while now it to come out that the cops actually shot and killed some of the victims.

14 Likes

Shimon Prokupecz and his producer have been amazing in their coverage of Uvalde. They appear to have access to family members, and they continue to tirelessly chase down leads and question city officials and LEOs about their actions on that day. They are so good and I worry that the new leadership at CNN will let them go.

13 Likes

Well, lets remember that it’s the shitty public figures that get reported on, not the many awesome ones quietly working hard for everyone with little recognition or reward (as it isn’t “newsworthy”).

BUT!

IMHO, One cannot ingore the number of shitty public figures (or employed staff) that appear to surround this particular event as coincidence either.

20 Likes

Yeah, I know. But in the instant case I had accepted the first version of the story, given that reliable media sources said that’s what happened. Then yet another piece of this debacle turns to shit. And it seems like every time I hear of some public figure doing good, then they do something unforgivably heinous. As I said, I recognize that there’s an element of confirmation bias at work here, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

Classic example of “too many cooks in the kitchen,” except these particular cooks are also all terrified of ovens and knives and spatulas and refrigerators and they’re all trying to hide inside the pantry until someone else makes dinner.

14 Likes

i think it’s an example of too many cooks, period.

school police, city police, sheriff marshals, state police, border patrol, the dea, and more

376 cops, zero responsibility

8 Likes

Just the fact that there is a separate school district police department in a city town of 15,000 people, and that the Uvalde PD has 39 police officers jumps out at you. Why!?! A comparably-sized town here has one, maybe two dedicated LEOs and is mostly covered by county sheriffs. That was also my experience in other (non-Texas) places I lived.

12 Likes

I was coming in here to say that it seems like, per Hanlon’s Razor, that mere incompetence is starting to wear thin as an excuse for this monstrous debacle.

5 Likes

Add terrible press coverage to these incidents, with copaganda shown to the public on a daily basis, and it quickly becomes clear why we have excessive staffing, funding, and immunity extended to a groups of LEOs demonstrably bad at their jobs at best and negligent at worst. Instead of finding some lessons in this particular tragedy, there are too many groups invested in repeating it. No matter how terrible the response and outcome, the resistance to cutbacks and consequences continues.

Every time I see an odd report involving an SRO, there’s little to no follow-up. Too many cooks with little to no oversight is a recipe for disaster.

7 Likes

Honor, integrity, public trust. Yeah; that’s a quick three strikes. After a while a person would think they might even lose their license to even be a Police. Pfffff… who are we kidding. Fired, maybe in the extreme. Actually lose their state licenses? Ha, No Way!

I’ve always found it a bit bizarre just how many police the US seem to have, even in the smallest of towns.

For comparison, the city of Vancouver, BC (Population >630k) has a total of 5 VPD squad cars on duty on a typical Saturday night. There are two other police services with jurisdiction there, the RCMP and Transit police, and they have a minimal presence (mostly cross-jurisdictional stuff like gangs).

My small town of 5k has an RCMP station, but I haven’t seen an actual police person in a couple of weeks. I know there are a couple around because I am friends with one of them, but to my knowledge there is maybe 1 officer on duty at any given time, with another couple on call.

Compare that to the US, and we’d have a local sherriff with deputies, a local police force, highway patrol, school cops, FBI, ATF, DEA.

No wonder you all ‘can’t’ afford health care or public education.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.