CNN's Clarissa Ward interviews Taliban in streets of Kabul

Nor these many others. No luggage, no change of clothes. Just about nothing, like other refugees.

I really hope the US welcomes and treats such people well.

11 Likes

I’d hope so, but I’m sure they’ll be treated as suspected terrorists.

7 Likes

The font at that site comes out unaliased. It’s out to hurt eyes, lol. Handsome Lebanon via Irvine, CA, tho!

It sounds like they don’t yet believe in taking a vaccine ironically, so it looks like they’re gonna have a fantasy of burying every other idealist for a while. That’s if they don’t get extra ideas, that aren’t from the Sino Hospitality Vanguard (Tehran Can’t Touch Dis Division) and yet Canon Shi’i.

6 Likes

If you look at early English medieval art, almost all the males depicted are wearing crowns. Does that mean crown-wearing was commonplace? Does that mean there were no females?

Islamic tradition frowns on depictions of living beings, hence the reason for all the intricate geometric designs in mosques and zero iconography. The fact that you see females in Islamic art at all means they are exceptional for multiple reasons.

On the other hand,

3 Likes

Islamic art depicting people isn’t representative of Islam as a whole, since several more conservative variants of Islam frown on imagery depicting living things (along with prophets, God, etc) as compared to more moderate forms, which see creation of most any art as a spiritual act bringing one closer to God. See, for example, Sufism vs Wahhabism.

You can’t just say that due to a lack of historical depictions of Niqabs they were historically rare across all of Islam.

3 Likes

GOP today: “Look what Biden did to those poor Afghanis!”

GOP also today: “Keep those Afghanis away from our country!”

I’m old enough to remember the fall of Saigon and the Vietnam refugees that moved to my city in the mid 1970s. I didn’t know any of them personally but I’m sure they faced a lot of scrutiny, especially from those whose sons were killed in the Vietnam War. Any Afghan refugee that I meet in the days or years ahead will get nothing but kindness and respect from me.

10 Likes

For those in Northern Virginia, you can volunteer if you have time/resources to spare, Help SIV Afghan Allies

5 Likes

It’s fun to play the game: “Will GQP Welcome Refugees from ___ and Why/Why Not?”
From Cuba? Fleeing Communism. Christian. Already huge/motivated electoral base. Hell, yes!
From Viet Nam? Fleeing Communism. Well, ok…
From Haiti? Uh, not so much… But its not because of racism!
From Afghanistan? Fleeing tyranny (check). Wrong religion (sorry! thanks for playing!)

6 Likes

Let’s go down the list:

• tired - but didn’t you get to sleep on that C-17?
  • poor - instant disqualifier
  • huddled masses yearning to breath free - free, or American freedom? Answer carefully now

Why does that statue even have that sign anymore?

7 Likes

It was always a lie. Nativism is as old as white people setting foot in the country. America has never been about the things it says it is about.

6 Likes

What was the line? Poetry is not policy?

1 Like

7 Likes

Poetry has more truth than any policy written in modern history…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.