CNN's Don Lemon suggests women being orally raped “use their teeth”

Why does it fucking matter? You’re still blaming her for not being a perfect victim and it’s not okay. You’re still focusing on her, the victim, and NOT Cosby or this so-called journalist. Her response is not relevant.

5 Likes

CNN may currently be winning the race to the bottom.

5 Likes

“Seems like a good reason to kill them, then. Or in the very least, not a good reason to not kill them”
You ignore my first point in order to justify your comment. Good show!

“And I’m not sure I agree that having your dick bitten off is necessarily more painful than being kicked in the crotch.”
I’m hoping this is supposed to be sarcastic cuz I don’t anyone who would think being kicked in any part of their body would be more painful than having it cut off. Seriously?

I am not the irrational one, buddy. You are being illogical. Your comments are anecdotal, not to mention totally off topic and completely unrelated to this topic. This has NOTHING TO DO with you getting kicked in the nuts a few times. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

4 Likes

DUDE THIS ISN’T THE POINT, but way to derail and make it all about your penis.

The ACTUAL POINT is that biting the penis is bullshit advice to begin with.

6 Likes

Nah, I know, you’re right; I was being flippant where I shouldn’t. Fuck’s sake though, what a moron…

5 Likes

I don’t think anybody in this thread is “pro-rape”, “pro-Lemon” or even “pro-Cosby” …

I’m pretty sure we’re on the same side here, but I get the sense that you’re looking for a fight, and it ain’t going to come from me.

7 Likes

The way this victim was treated was the entire point of this post, and you treated her JUST LIKE this journalist, but you expect to get a pass?

The way victims are treated is an important topic. People - including this journalist AND YOU – need to stop talking about how a victim “should” act or respond after they are raped. Her response was fine. Your reaction to her response is HUGELY problematic. Do you honestly think being judge mental about how a victim responds to her own rape is helpful??

2 Likes

We really need to end 24 hour news. When “The News” was only on at 6:30 or when something monumental happened we didn’t get a daily dose of stupidity.

3 Likes

I think you’re right to be concerned with victim-blaming, since that’s to a large extent what arguments about what a victim “could have done” are, but I think you’re disagreeing with cahutchins unfairly.

Lemon said X, and Tarshis essentially agreed with him. (Or at least that’s how it sounded in the interview.)

Now, you (quite rightly) say that Lemon’s statement was wrong. But you also say that no one can say anything about Tarshis’s agreement, because that’s telling a victim how she ought to act.

If you disagree with Lemon’s statement, then you disagree with statements in support of it.

Is it possible to separate the statement from the person saying it? If it were Bill O’Reilly agreeing with Lemon, we wouldn’t have any problem disagreeing with his agreement, right?

2 Likes

If you got hit accidentally then it’s not surprising it didn’t hurt much. That hardly negates whether having it chopped off would.
“Look, why doesn’t every rape-prevention class just say “kick the guy in the nuts?””
I’m sure in some situations that solution may be entirely appropriate and effective. Not all. Which is why there are classes in the first place.
“God, women are so dumb.”
Nice appropriation of your own comment which has no bearing on my views whatsoever.

We’ve got from scraped to hit to chopped off.

Let’s jump to “put in a wood chipper.” Yes, I now agree with you. That would hurt.

The chances of you instantly incapacitating a rapist with your teeth are small. Accept that. The chances of making a rapist angry are high. The chances of further violence being inflicted on the victim are high. And the fact that many victims can’t fight back because of the psychological effect of rape is also important.

You’re just arguing the hypothetical: If you instantly hit a rapist hard enough that you were 100% certain he couldn’t chase after you, you might have a chance. Ok, we get that. Most women won’t take that chance.

7 Likes

The journalist should not have made the suggestion at all. I do not judge her response to it. That’s up to her, and NONE of my business. The point is that his suggestion was uncalled for. This is a rape that ALREADY HAPPENED. It’s as if he is suggesting there is something she could have done to avoid being raped. That is false.

Can we all agree that someone being on television, dressed in a nice suit, speaking in a well-trained loud authoritative voice and being given airtime, does not in any way mean that what is being said is even remotely meaningful, useful, sensible or true?

One more reason I do not watch television. Enough loud asspuppetry even without it.

AND, that it is GREAT seeing this as it EXPOSES the institutionalized sexism and intentional ignorance so many say ended 20 years ago.

3 Likes

Your first point? About how much it would hurt to have it bitten off? The point I don’t necessarily agree with?

People complain about getting kicked in the balls, not about being kicked in the penis. People have had their penis cut off without regaining consciousness or waking up. People have cut off their own penis. Of course there are people who enjoy getting kicked in the balls. And lots of people go into shock immediately upon losing a limb to the extent they don’t feel even as much pain as they do from much more minor injuries.

So yeah, I don’t think much of your “I was kicked in the balls once and it hurt so much I couldn’t function, so it’s therefore true that someone who got their dick bitten off would be unable to retaliate” point. But good show in trying to make my comment about your completely illogical and unrelated second point contingent upon your (again unrelated) first point.

Speaking as someone who has had their penis bitten off, of course.

Too bad you weren’t there to tell this rapist that stabbing the biter should have been the last thing on his mind:

According to reports in the Jamaica Star, evidence was presented in court that the rapist forced a woman to have oral sex with him, when she then bit him on his penis, almost severing it. He then stabbed her several times.

4 Likes

I’d like to clarify: How a victim responds to his or her assault or rape is irrelevant. HAD she bitten or scraped his penis, I wouldn’t judge her for it, nor blame her, and I’d think that might be a reaction some women might have when a penis is shoved without consent into their mouths; that’s fine. HOWEVER, suggesting that a woman should bite the penis of a man raping her is not okay. It is not a suggestion that should be made. Being a victim is hard enough as it is without having people giving advice on how to be a proper victim.

What’s so really wrong about this is that this so-called journalist made her go back and re-think how she reacted and put her into a corner which forced her to respond in some way about how she reacted during a rape that already occurred. Her response is not relevant. The fact that she was given a suggestion on how to respond to a rape she’s already experienced is just plain fucked up.

7 Likes

Stop talking about your fucking penis! This is not about your penis or that time you got kicked in the balls!!!

6 Likes

None of my comments mentioned being scraped or hit. I was kicked in the penis. And what is it you can’t seem to get about making comparisons between the pain of being kicked in the penis to how much more it would hurt to have it chopped (ie bitten) off? Me being kick in the penis is just a base for comparison. Having your penis put in a wood chipper I’m sure would be the same or similar experience to having it chopped off, since that’s what a wood chipper would do. This is actually getting somewhat comical having to explain this.
Now,
“You’re just arguing the hypothetical: If you instantly hit a rapist hard enough that you were 100% certain he couldn’t chase after you, you might have a chance. Ok, we get that. Most women won’t take that chance.”
Yes, I agree with this comment. The anchor was a man and his comment came from a man’s perspective. So just shutting it down without any kind of discussion does not help men understand why this wouldn’t be an appropriate response to a man forcing his penis into your mouth. From my perspective, and most probably his, unless the man had a gun to my head or a knife to my throat, you can be damn sure he would be pulling a bloody stump away. So since this is a perspective that some men have, it would be helpful to educate them why this wouldn’t work for women instead of just putting some smarmy gif at the end of the post and having irrational angry women shouting down anyone who dares to comment how they deem they shouldn’t. It’s called discussion, people.

Yeah, settle down! It’s just men rapin’ women and other men telling women how to be good victims, but settle down now, don’t be so angry about this shit, it’s nothing to get angry about at all, pat pat pat pat!

Fuck that shit. This shit is enraging and I am perfectly okay with my anger. I don’t play that patronizing game. And fuck, we have a man on TV telling a woman how she should have acted as a victim, and here we have yet another man doing the same exact thing (“she didn’t do herself any favors”) and I am the one with the problem? YEAH NO.

1 Like

(I was sarcastically highlighting the clear subtext of his comment, not agreeing with it, in case that wasn’t clear)

5 Likes