Coca-Cola and McDonald's to suspend business in Russia

Originally published at: Coca-Cola and McDonald's to suspend business in Russia | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“…despite the war, Russia sees unexplained decrease in cases of diabetes and heart disease…”

22 Likes

I applaud the effort, but I can’t help but think “and nothing of value was lost.”

16 Likes

Generally speaking i get ya though it’s not just these two companies that were still actively doing business in Russia. This is the start to get other companies into being shamed enough to put pressure on Russia, from what i understand Apple, Google and other big companies are still very much active so we’ll see how things progress.

13 Likes

The list.

“Among the companies that are still in Russia, Papa John’s has the most locations at 185”

“The Yale list is being updated daily.”

15 Likes

Okay, but never forget that they only did this under constant public pressure and threat of boycotts. They’re taking measures to protect their bottom line and give zero fucks about the situation in Ukraine. Don’t buy their poison.

10 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time a Coca-Cola distributor had to get creative in order to circumvent a trade embargo against a reprehensible regime. Fanta got its start as “Coca Cola, but for Nazis.”

15 Likes

And relevant to current events. Coke made a colorless version for a high ranking Soviet officer

11 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong but I thought I read apple suspended sales in Russia

3 Likes

“I’m a high ranking Soviet officer, I can’t risk being seen drinking Coca-Cola in public! Can you make it look like vodka?” is one of the most Russian things I’ve ever heard.

17 Likes

If their politics is anything like their founder’s, Papa John will probably increase the number of their stores over this…

Also a collapsing ruble and being cut off from credit cards and banking systems - I’m surprised more companies aren’t ending business involvement in Russia just because they aren’t going to get paid…

Yeah, Apple stopped selling in Russia on March 1. Google suspended ads there and blocked Russian state media outlets.

8 Likes

That’s a tough one because cutting access to information services will only drive the Russian population further down Putin’s dark alley. As @Shuck points out, they’ve cut them off from the more commercial offerings.

Yep.

6 Likes

Big whoop. When I lived in the FSU (Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan), people were nostalgic about how Pepsi was available when coke wasn’t, and how great it was Pepsi didn’t shun the USSR. Now, if Pepsi stops business in Russia, that will be a slap in the face.

13 Likes

In three…two…one…

3 Likes

And watch Chik-Fil-A see McDonald’s exit as a business opportunity…
Even now, they are no doubt scheming to branch out from their Moscow* location.

----
* Moscow, Idaho, but still.

5 Likes

Since there’s no further line dividing the GOP and the Kremlin, it would be entirely on brand…

2 Likes

As soon as I saw the headlines, I knew the response.
“NO DECENT RUSSIAN VOULD VANT FOUL, CORRUPT, VESTERN BEEG MAC ANYVAYS. THEES EES, HOW YOU SAY, YET ANOTHER VICTORY FOR PUTIN, FOR THE MOTHERLAND, A RETURN TO GLORIOUS SOVIET BURGER. NOW FROM THE FIELDS OF NEWLY ANNEXED CHERNOBYL FARMS, WE HAVE RUSSIAN MIRACLE BURGER. YOU PAY FOR A QUARTER POUND OF BEEF AT THE COUNTER, BY THE TIME YOU SIT TO EAT, HAS ALREADY GROWN TO A THIRD OF A POUND! MIRACLE OF RUSSIAN ENGINEERING!”

5 Likes

That’s great! Do the US next!

6 Likes

I believe Netflix suspended all service in Russia for about 1M customers on March 5th.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, thanks for posting. While I guess it isn’t surprising that a beverage company would keep trying to make beverages with whatever ingredients it had on hand, it is shocking that they would have an anniversary celebration of their origins.

2 Likes