Woman from eastern Russia gives a tour of a supermarket

Originally published at: Woman from eastern Russia gives a tour of a supermarket | Boing Boing

14 Likes

That was quite informative!

18 Likes

So great you picked up her video. She has many many similar videos on her Youtube channel, which has really blown up over the past year or so. (I don’t know her… I’m just a fan.)

19 Likes

A lot of the culinary delights seem to be based on a dare. I did like the vid.

8 Likes

Moscow is west of the Urals, so it’s in Europe.

14 Likes

no offense, but don’t you mean “west of the urals”?

8 Likes

Indeed I did. Changed

8 Likes

Traditionally “Russia” to Russians is that part west of the Urals (I think including Yekaterinburg), the rest is not really the “motherland”, it’s “the frontier.”

10 Likes

I do really miss the cold salads of Russia and eastern European countries. It’s also very cool to see so many items stocked on Russian supermarket shelves compared to when I was her age.

20 Likes

and when i was her age the supermarkets of the soviet union were mostly stocked with lines of people.

22 Likes

In the early 80s, I knew a Russian expatriate who would shop at our grocery store in Wichita, KS when I was a bag boy. I always loved to hear him speak at length about the real issues folks were going through over there.

21 Likes

The thought crossed my mind, too, about how well stocked the shelves are. When I was a kid, we heard those stories about how there was nothing to buy at the store in Russia/USSR.

In this vid, I was half hoping she’d make her way to the personal care aisle and show the TP. Again, when I was a kid, there were stories of Russian TP being like brown paper bags, but rougher. Or maybe these days they use bidets, and do not need it.

1 Like

This was still a thing in 2007, at least in Ukraine and Moldova. Nicer TP was available, but like the Cup O’ Noodles in the video, considered “fancy” and expensive.

To me, it reminded me of the brown paper towels in public restrooms. Utilitarian, without bleaching and quilted puffiness.

6 Likes

Now these shelves look more fully stocked than in some supermarkets in the U.S.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/11/business-food/grocery-store-shelves-empty/index.html

12 Likes

but with products I’ve never heard of, like Milkis, a milk-based carbonated drink

It’s been done…

12 Likes

OMG — F Costco - I wanna go shopping there… Such variety, so many things to try… MMMMM

2 Likes

“Maybe I’ll get sent to a gulag”

I did a LOL.

15 Likes

There’s something very familiar about that supermarket’s logo…

2 Likes

Pretty interesting. I have some friends that lived in Eastern Russia for a few years (don’t remember if it was Vladivostok or Khabarovsk) working as expats for an oil company. They would actually take a short flight to Sapporo, Japan every couple of weeks and a lot of their shopping there.

7 Likes

Milkis seems to be the Korean equivalent of Calpis. Think of it as a non-alcoholic makgeolli.

5 Likes