Woman from eastern Russia gives a tour of a supermarket

It’s for when a certain Palo Alto business campus succumbs to the rising ocean levels of climate change.

7 Likes

growing up in NYC 60+ yrs ago, we had ‘scooter pies’…looks quite like choco pies…and, prices in eastern russian are either th same, or as little as 2/3 less than here in america (cup o noodles costs about the same…$1,45 here…118 rubles…)

1 Like

The choco pie’s origins lie in the American South, apparently.

4 Likes

As I read the headline, I couldn’t help but think of Pulp

4 Likes

I think you posted your email address by accident there…

1 Like

Just to understand the magnitude of the territory, the largest division on that map that pops up in the beginning is the Sakha Republic, (pop. +/- 1 million). It is twice the size of Alaska.

4 Likes

thanx !

You didn’t have to delete the entire post. There is an edit function. You can even restore the deleted post and just take out that one part.

Because it was a reply to me I got an email alert.

Here is the message:

yes…moon pie was what it was called throughout much of the united states (still is, i think)…‘scooter pie’…was a moon pie that was sold in the NYC area during the 60s…a local bakery / distributer named it after a NY Yankee baseball player, Phil “Scooter” Rizzuto…that company was then bought out by, I believe, Nabisco… am not sure if they are still produced under th name scooter pie

4 Likes

I quite like the sound of seaweed flavoured chocolate.

3 Likes

There was a joke from the time of Yeltsin and the sudden sharp and traumatic change for regular folks when the USSR fell apart.

Two guys are standing in line, waiting for hours to buy bread. One guy says “I can’t take it anymore, I’m going to go shoot Yeltsin”, and marches off. He returns an hour later and his friend asks how it went. “I gave up. That line is even longer.”

18 Likes

Wait a minute, Chupa-Chups soda?!?!?

3 Likes

Well, if you can’t suck 'em, drink 'em. /s

Mind blown…TIL that Salvador Dali was the creator of the Chupa Chups logo!

8 Likes

I like how she implies that radioactivity from the Fukushima disaster caused her to start a YouTube channel

2 Likes

In the Bay Area, you can get Choco Pie at 99 Ranch (Asian supermarket)

Also: “don’t forget to pick up xxxxx (high iodine foodstuff) in a can cuz of nuclear accident”

Also, also: “What’s stopping you?”

2 Likes

I’ve only ever heard the version of this joke that refers to Gorbachev, not Yeltsin.

1 Like

You just need the right kind of store nearby.

https://www.tntsupermarket.com/tt-groceries/tt-snacks-drinks/tt-beverages/tt-milk-yougurt-drinks.html

6 Likes

I was there in 1981, Leningrad, before they changed it back to St. Petersburg. Two cheap things were drugs & alcohol. The dollars to rubles was $1 US to 5 rubles. It was a month I shall never forget.

10 Likes

I love the implication that being irradiated by the fallout of a nuclear accident might make people want to start a YouTube channel. It would explain so much.

(It does make me wonder. In German, the (technical) term verstrahlt means “contaminated by radiation”. Used as a colloquial term it refers to someone being an idiot. Any Russian speakers here to weigh in on this?)

7 Likes

Her whole channel is great, she has many interesting as well as charming walkthroughs on aspects of Russian life. Especially East Russia.

2 Likes