Coca-Cola in talks with cannabis company

well, not in Quebec (grumble grumble)

but yeah. I’m cautiously optimistic about home-grown weed being at least as accessibly as home-brewed beer in most of the places where it’s legalized

2 Likes

Because its coming…

“Corona beer maker Constellation Brands recently invested under $4bn into Canadian cannabis group Canopy Growth, lifting its stake to 38 per cent. Diageo, the liquor conglomerate behind Johnny Walker whiskey, has also been exploring investment opportunities in the cannabis sector in recent weeks, according to people close to the company.” -FinancialTimes

It will be interesting to watch what is gained by adding a ‘Cannabis Extract Inside’ sticker to a drink.

Edit: Annnnd heeeere we go!

4 Likes

CBD isn’t “trippy” but doesn’t CBD relieve anxiety? I wouldn’t describe the feeling a xanax gives me as “high” but the intensely relaxed feeling is pretty damn euphoric if you lead a life of near constant worry/anxiety…

Which is why I hope legalization marches forward because taking a xanax every night will not end well, so the end result is you get anxiety about how often you take your anxiety medication… :frowning:

5 Likes

If only the War on Drugs wasn’t so darn profitable for the military/industrial complex :frowning:

4 Likes

Apparently, you should go check out roller coasters for that. Not kidding. Someone just won an IgNobel for research on that.

4 Likes

Yeah I looked at that… The roller coaster knocks them loose from the kidney, which is when the fun painful part starts. So no.

3 Likes

Keeps it from growing bigger though, eh?

3 Likes

For me it does reduce anxiety, but I think that it may be related to reducing inflammation. I woudn’t call it high, but it definitely makes me happier, more alert and more productive - being in (mild) pain all the time didn’t help any of those things. The effect is similar, but not exactly the same as over the counter NSAIDs.

4 Likes

I know zilch about biology but I’ve read some interesting things about the relationship between inflamation and anxiety/depression. (Am I inflamed because I’m depressed - or depressed because I’m inflamed?)

I look forward to legalization so this kind of thing can be looked at closer.

I have a friend whose dispensary had a sale on some stuff that was very high CBD and only like 10% thc, and he claimed it was the best anxiety relief he’d ever had.

2 Likes

It’s going to be really weird when I’m an old man to explain to my nephew that there was a time when you not only didn’t have your choice of indica or sativa sodas (new Diet Pepsi OG Kush!), but that getting caught with even a small amount of actual pot would get you heavily fined or arrested.

3 Likes

It definitely seems this way for me. NSAIDs also help with my (mild) depression, but they have nasty side-effects.
Hypericum_perforatum seems to be best for me - it’s both antinflammatory and antidepressant. It’s good to be cautious with it though, it has weird interactions with a lot of drugs.

Where I live (Poland) CBD oil is legal, as long as it contains almost no THC (like less than 0.05%). It can be bought without prescription. As for anxiety relief, it definitely works this way for me - I’ve had a lot of stress recently, mostly because I had to finish my PhD thesis and final exams, and CBD oil helped me deal with it.

1 Like

“I’d like to teach
The world to toke
In perfect harmony…”

I think you meant “cue”, but setting up (cueing) a line (queue) of Coke execs being harassed anywhere for any reason is good enough for me.

and @Akimbo_NOT - that Sephora product needs more blockchain. I am thinking of setting up the Cannabis Blockchain Device company (CBD, geddit!) whose name alone assures me and my descendents of limitless wealth.

3 Likes

no

No

NO!

I guess it’s easy to create bandwagons to jump on in an age of 3D printers :slight_smile:

If only. I have a bowel disease that precludes any aspirin-based drugs, including ibuprofen. Who doesn’t want a cure for ails that have none other?

At least it’s not crystals or something. Sigh.

1 Like

I empathize.

I have a GI condition that causes me to barf wildly for long periods at inconvenient times for no apparent reason. I never thought I’d have enough practice to get good at puking, but it can be done (taking antacid right before the big moment can help ease the burn - that’s my life-hack for the day).

But that’s one of the problems. I don’t want to ease the burn; I want to prevent it. And I’m sure you know from your own condition that there’s this hard situation: Some of the meds you need most happen to be meds you can’t tolerate.

Like you, I don’t handle NSAIDs well. Cannabis, for me, has been a lifesaver in that respect. I was down to 115 pounds (from 150), and cannabis is all that’s helped me get my appetite back and keep things down.

So, although it’s helped me, I tell anyone who asks about cannabis for (insert medical issue here) to first visit a doctor. If they’ve done that, and if there isn’t a good solution for the condition, then I recommend they go for the alternative medicines.

In your case, I wonder if CBD ointment/cream could help. This is from anecdotal evidence (conversations w/others who use cannabis as a medication), but I’ve been told CBD is happy to be delivered transdermally.

I’m a stubborn skeptic, and I get even more stubborn when I see the bandwagon effect in action, but if there’s something out there that really can help, we ought to treat it that way.

I hope you find the stuff that works for you. I know from experience what an exhausting process it can be.

Now that I’ve had a few days to think and to read many of the comments, I can see clearly now:

Putting CBD in Coca-Cola is just weird.

If CBD actually has all these various effects on the consumer (anxyolitic, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, etc.), then it’d be irresponsible to add it to Coke. You might as well put clonazepam, whatever SSRI you prefer, and any old anti-inflammatory.

That’s what doesn’t make sense. If it works, it would be dangerous to add (there are too many unknowns such as drug-interactions, dosage calculation, blah blah). People will be dialing 911 to report a different kind of “coke overdose” after all-night gaming.

If CBD doesn’t work, however, then adding it would just be marketing. Now that makes sense in terms of business.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.