If Cannabis Is “A Potential Way To Prevent COVID-19” Then Why Is Trump Blocking Research?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/if-cannabis-is-a-potential.html

2 Likes

Narrows eyes…

If you want to smoke weed or ingest CBD, go on with your bad selves. I’ve long said weed and most illicit drugs should be legal, and all of them de-criminalized for possession.

But this “cures all that ails you” snake oil bullshit is just that.

45 Likes

Cannabis is an excellent way to get people to stay home and play video games all day

44 Likes

I fully support more research into its medical applications while also rolling my bloodshot eyes at the folks who say it cures everything.

44 Likes

This is exactly what we need. More research not just into medical applications, but the true risks and effects as opposed to “LOL, it’s harmless” or “It’ll kill you, instantly” reefer madness bullshit. Proper double-blind controlled studies whenever possible.

Let’s figure out which compounds do what and how they react synergistically or mitigate each other. Let’s figure out standardized dosing. Right now, the biggest danger is you don’t necessarily know what you’re getting.

20 Likes

How the F is smoking weed a cure for a respiratory disease?

20 Likes

Great if it works. Do the research. Knock yourself out.

4 Likes

“may become a useful and safe addition to the treatment of COVID-19 as an adjunct therapy”

That

1. would not surprise me, and if it works that way, good
  2. is nowhere near to “might prevent COVID-19”
22 Likes

The point is to get all of the little COVID nasties mellow so they don’t want to kill you anymore. It’s, like, basic science, man.

17 Likes

gummies, candy, chocolat, honey are how you get just CBD (or even boring tablets), which is what we are talking about here.The " A Potential Way To Prevent COVID-19" appears to be a figment of the headline writer’s imagination, although the Forbes article did discuss the potential of blocking infection at the outset with a specific variety of CBD.

3 Likes

Whoooooo boy.

Also:“A potential way to prevent COVID-19” is a bold claim.
“[T]wo Canadian researchers think that a special strain of cannabis might potentially be a valuable tool in the fight against COVID-19” is a whole lot of weasel words amounting to just about nothing.

So some strains might have anti-inflammatory properties, and those anti-inflammatory properties might help against covid. Or, you know, they’re as useless as all the other actual anti-inflammatories out there that don’t help.

10 Likes

A few years ago I saw some research that compared smoking cigarettes with smoking cannabis. One would expect that both types of smokers would have the same rate of cancer. But they don’t. So this paper tried to answer why cannabis smokers had much lower rates of cancer.

Forgive my paraphrasing, but what they found was that both types of smoking caused micro abrasions in the lungs. In the cigarette smokers, these abrasions suffered from continual infections and scaring. The cannabis users in contrast did not have the same issues with infections and the micro abrasions healed without the scaring.

It was suggested in the paper that elements in the cannabis may fight infections that can be a factor in getting cancer.

The paper of course came with a big disclaimer that further research is needed.

So maybe this is all bunk. But if cannabis does help fight infections in the lungs then this might be how it could help with a respiratory disease.

Lot’s of ifs here so please don’t take this as fact just because it’s want you want to hear. Don’t be a GOOP head.

18 Likes

/applies CBD comment oil

8 Likes

So is this ad/article just a plea to get someone in the cannabis lobby to hand a suitcase full of cash to Trump’s current lawyer?
There’s your answer.

5 Likes

It’s a floor wax AND a dessert topping!

15 Likes

There’s a fine line between

Cannabis warrants more peer-reviewed scientific research into its potential curative and therapeutic properties for a range of medical conditions

and

Please support our sponsor's campaign to get some of that sweet, sweet Federal grant money currently earmarked for Covid-19 research

24 Likes

Important note: while issuing preprints of medical studies can absolutely be useful in many cases, and some preprints are of high quality, I don’t think that a server that posts non-peer-reviewed preprints can accurately be called a “medical journal”, and the preprints.org website doesn’t identify itself as such. In the “about” section it calls itself a “platform.”

14 Likes

Experiment journal:

Day 118 since lockdown. Still no Covid. :grin::+1:

12 Likes

Haha aaawww I like PDFs, sort-of.

3 Likes

Not just bold, but would be stupid. The few antiviral compounds that are known work on replication pathways. That’s down at the cellular protein and RNA level. You don’t fuck around with that lightly. If cannabis is doing that, then that’s some scary information.

6 Likes