Coca-Cola in talks with cannabis company

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/17/coca-cola-in-talks-with-cannab.html

4 Likes

Hmm dank cola… I would give a try.

6 Likes

Don’t Bogart that soda, man.

7 Likes

Looks like a possible Win Win situation.

6 Likes

Toke is it.

11 Likes

Add some THC in there and maybe… but you know they will science the crap out of it and lard it with high fructose corn syrup, a bunch of chemicals and flavors that suck.

9 Likes

Cue Jeff Sessions…

5 Likes

CBD is for pain relief, though; not getting high.

7 Likes

Well played.

This news lends current slogan “Taste the Feeling” something of a new inflection.

8 Likes

‘Functional wellness beverage’? Can I class laudanum as that, d’you think?

8 Likes

If it works better than the Vicodin for my next kidney stone adventure I will take that.

6 Likes

Queue Coca-Cola execs being harassed at the border.

4 Likes

My thought exactly. All they need to do is criminalize this, and make it widely available to whichever minority is the enemy.

4 Likes

The problem is, when big business & big pharma get involved, they patent the medicine so that nobody else can legally produce it.

9 Likes

I’d like to buy the world a canna-cola™.

download%20(39)

JHC, the banality of sugar water.

4 Likes

Who knew coke was a gateway drug to pot?

6 Likes

Suddenly this one makes sense:

tumblr_o19r5h9syF1qzsch9o1_400

11 Likes

The best part of this whole legal weed thing is that you can grow it yourself; no need to rely on megacorps for anything, yet it will still drop a ton of tax money into federal coffers.

At least until they GMO the plant into conditional sterility.

4 Likes

New™ Tango™: Mellow Yellow ™

3 Likes

The problem is the assumption that we know what CBD is “for”.

So far, the only thing we really know is that it can help with a rare form of epilepsy that affects children (Haleigh’s story being the one that seems to have brought it to the forefront).

The WP article on CBD suggests it affects THC by inhibiting the release of an enzyme that usually breaks delta-9 THC into delta-12. Both these forms of THC are psychoactive. Adding CBD (or choosing a high-CBD strain of cannabis) will interfere with your cannabis experience. That’s if you’re into cannabis for any reason. If all you’re doing is drinking CBD-laced Coca-Cola, then you probably won’t notice or care.

CBD also has a much longer half-life than THC, so anything you’ve consumed containing CBD will affect you the rest of the day. Specifically, it’ll shorten the duration and lessen the intensity of any THC-related activities you might have planned. Again, if you aren’t into cannabis, the THC-disruption isn’t going to affect you.

Overall, we just don’t know enough. CBD interferes with the metabolization of THC (and possibly other cannabinoids).

CBD can also be used in the aforementioned, rare, and VERY specific case of childhood epilepsy.

But other than that?

There’s zero basis for introducing it as a health-promoting additive. None. If people want a relaxing edge to their Coca-Cola, they should try the caffeine-free variety. Ibuprofen for inflammation. Etc.

Not only is there a lack of data supporting the existence of calming effects, but rather the opposite: over the long term, CBD can increase general anxiety.

Beware the CBD craze, for we know not the CBD. Not yet, anyway.

6 Likes