Coca Cola is dropping Tab

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/16/coca-cola-is-dropping-tab.html

Fun fact: Marketing people dropping tabs was how Tab was invented in the first place.

27 Likes

But how will future generations understand Marty McFly’s order at Lou’s Cafe when he goes back in time?!

25 Likes

Wasn’t Tab briefly marketed as an energy drink not that long ago?

2 Likes

Yeah my kids already didn’t get it when they watched that movie. Of course, by then we were already separated by more time from Marty McFly’s era than he had been separated from 1955.

26 Likes

I remember the dorm’s vending machine being out of basically everything and having to dump my illicit airplane bottle of rum into a can of Tab once.

It was fine - or as fine as any diet beverage. Why anyone would want to buy it in anything other than an emergency was beyond me.

5 Likes

It sure had some distasteful sexist beginnings…

Bad taste was the flavor.

17 Likes

I once worked with a computer programmer who drank several 2 liter bottles of warm Tab a day. He also discovered a few supernovae by staring at the night sky (which he had memorized) with a pair of 20x80 binoculars and making a mental note of what was different from the night before.

So don’t you be dissin’ Tab.

12 Likes

Jack and Tab, do it.

OK, but Fresca is still available? Cool. We’re good.

16 Likes

Be a mind sticker…

6 Likes

I must admit, I hadn’t heard of Tab since its brief reappearance as part of the clear beverage fad of the early 90s.

Tab will be forever associated with being dragged around by my mother to her friend’s house and having to play with her friend’s kids, who were fine, but not my friends. That grim taste is immediately accompanied by the smell of too much hairspray and cigarettes.

The 70’s were a dire decade for culture in general.

19 Likes

Brands like Tab that I associate with the '70s always give off this delightfully nasty frisson for me.

Aquanet and Virginia Slims.

10 Likes

I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn’t remember what Tab is if it weren’t for Marty McFly, even though it was available in most coke vending machines when I was growing up.

1 Like

There will always be ilovetab.com

1 Like

I’m dropping tab, right now.

12 Likes

Tab and D&D photo 1978

4 Likes

It’s not a challenge to find sexist ads for nearly any product from bygone eras, but yeesh! That was really, really bad.

8 Likes

“like bad medicine,”

Like their love.

/bonjovi