Coca Cola is dropping Tab

Yeah, for a hot minute. I was a big fan of energy drinks for workouts at the time, and it was less foul than Monster, so I liked it for a while. Then Go Girl came around and I “dropped Tab” for that.

Maybe Tab tasted better when it used cyclamates before they were banned?

Tab got a lot of hype when released, it’s actually something that came along when I was aware. My impression was it made a big impact, but may e that was just advertising. I’m sure I sampled it, but but I’m feeling like it just showed up close to me. I feel a bit of nostalgia, e an though I can’t remember what cottages like.

I did have Fresca more than a few times.

Austin Powers drinks Tab, a reinforcement of its place in pop culture.

Parts of the country are having weird shortages of Fresca that Coca-Cola insists aren’t happening. I’m wondering if perhaps Coca-Cola shouldn’t have morphed from “be a mind-sticker” from that Tab ad to a “be a mind-flayer” for Fresca as part of the Stranger Things push. Must be a 2020 thing.

There goes the key to Daryl Zero’s famed deductive powers.

1 Like

If it ain’t got saccharine, it ain’t Fresca! Whatever nightmarish hellbrew they’re calling Fresca these days is an abomination in the eyes of all Dog’s childen.

I would have thought this was a rather more enduring pop culture reference to Tab (also to Pepsi Free, now known as Caffeine Free Pepsi).

4 Likes

Back in the 1970s my diabetic grandfather would have an occasional Tab because it did not have sugar in it: it has always reminded me of him. I bought some about 15 years ago: it wasn’t that terrible and made me feel niche.

2 Likes

Came here looking for this.

1 Like

I understood that reference.
“You want the low-cal breakfast?”

2 Likes

Naah, Fresca was basically ruined when they switched TO saccharine. The tart flavor was designed to be sweetened with cyclamates. But the tart flavor was incapable of hiding the greater bitterness of sacchrine after cyclamates were banned.

4 Likes

Tried Tab decades ago. It tasted like it wanted to be Coke, but it had forgotten to include most of the flavor. Just completely blah.

2 Likes

Hilariously my story above about dumping rum into a can of Tab in my dorm room out of desperation also happened with Vodka and Fresca once.

Unlike RumTab, that shit was delicious.

2 Likes

That sounds like it might work, kinda like a greyhound.

4 Likes

Tab is the Sanka of soft drinks. A pioneer of a type (non sugar cola, decaf coffee) that has been long surpassed for several decades.

2 Likes

San Pellegrino sodas are surprisingly good mixers for cheap booze

4 Likes

I’ll have to take your word for that. I never had it until saccharine, which may have been worse than cyclamates, but was definitely better than aspartame, etc.

1 Like

Honestly? It was great. I’m pretty sure I repeated it a couple times.

Pretty sure Barq’s is on their chopping block too, given how it’s all but disappeared.

4 Likes

One of many jokes future generations will not understand.

“The world I growed up in is gone.”

5 Likes