Coffee chain ditching cups in 2020, customers must "rent" or bring their own

And our personal addictions to fossil fuels.

1 Like

The only problem I have with this is that other restaurants/diners might be tempted to charge a “dish/utensil fee” or something like that, the deposit idea sets a precedent. But I am all for the experiment. What most places should really do is offer a discount if you bring your own cup (like my local coffee shop does.)

2 Likes

Just dump it directly into my mouth, cut out the middleman [cup]…

5 Likes

I have one of those and it is pretty damn good for the price. I use it regularly too though not at Starbucks most of the time. On the plus side if I lose it somewhere I am not pissed off I lost my $20 fancy commuter cup.

5 Likes

so, they’ll give you a mug, which until Starbucks took over the industry, was standard when you went to sit in a coffee shop, and still is in many independent ones? But now you have to pay for them? [ETA: misspelled word]

coffee-mug

I am glad that are making a positive contribution here, don’t get me wrong… but why the deposit?

7 Likes

I usually carry a starbucks reusable cup and recieve 10 cents off on purchase of a Tall (small) Pike (medium blend) coffee. Been doing it for years. As a bonus, refills are free if customer has not left the store since first coffee purchase.

P.S. I like honey in coffee and Starbucks stores generally have it on hand.

2 Likes

It’s not for “for here” orders, it’s for “to go.” What they’re saying is if you want your coffee to go and didn’t bring a mug you can borrow one from them.

Is it? It doesn’t explicitly say that… although that’s great, too. I don’t have one of these shops near me, so I’ve never been, do they sell “for here” coffee in mugs now, or only disposables?

1 Like

We stopped on a drive at a coffee shop in a small town, and when I took my (20 oz) travel mug in to get it filled, they only charged $1. They told me all “travel mugs” get filled for $1, no matter the size of the container. That was a wonderful and unexpected surprise.

6 Likes

I wonder if they offer a cup washing station for those of us never take the cup out of our cars other than to refill it.

4 Likes

Yes, they’ve always had mugs for dine-in (like every coffeeshop does) but according to their statement, they’ll now ‘rent’ you a to-go mug that you can bring back to be washed and get your deposit back.

Starbucks did this briefly – had a low refill price for any size travel mug you brought in. But too many people gamed the system by asking for it to be ‘refilled’ with a venti mocha latte or some other expensive espresso drink. So they made it drip-coffee only, then went with the current cheapo 10 cent “discount”.

1 Like

I should get one of those reusable ceramic thermoses I keep seeing in the department store.

i have one of these…it cost either $1 or $2 i can’t remember and you get $0.10 off each time you use it, so it pays for itself rather quickly.

2 Likes

As I don’t make a habit of going to Starbucks that wasn’t a thing. It did make for a good reusable cup to take to/from and use at work and I do use it at other shops.

1 Like

Clearly I must not have read it closely enough to see the “to go” part…

1 Like

See also Reusable Grocery Bags. I mean, it’s great in theory, but according to same theory stores should soon stop stocking them once everyone’s got their own.

I reuse all of my reusable grocery bags. Just not in the grocery store.

1 Like

It takes me seven minutes to make a latte at home. They are better than what most cafes serve, and cost less than half what you pay at a cafe. I still scratch my head at the coffee-cup-carrying-culture we have in this country. It’s wasteful and expensive.

we have like 8 million in our closet. i’m pretty sure they are breeding in there.

2 Likes

Nice. I think leading people into actually wanting to always have a mug handy might work better than ‘punishing them’ with a deposit charge, at least until it becomes more commonplace.

1 Like