Colbert celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Lord of the Rings "trilly" with a celebrity-studded rap video

Originally published at: Colbert celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Lord of the Rings "trilly" with a celebrity-studded rap video | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Saw Fellowship in NYC - a little over three months after 9/11, which I also saw (and felt, and smelled, etc.). Gandalf’s “so do all who live to see such times” bit had a near-prophetic weight to it. The entire trilogy felt strengthening, uplifting, and - above all - meaningful, because of the ongoing circumstances in which I saw it. Those films - regardless of their flaws - will always have a deep and resonant place in my heart.

6 Likes

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: great

Rap music: great

This particular Lord of the Rings Trilogy Rap Extravaganza: Fun, but not a particularly good rap track.

1 Like

I appreciate that they wisely avoided bringing up the Hobbit prequel trilogy.

11 Likes

Peter Jackson made Ian McKellen cry. And not the good kind of cry.

That’s all anyone needs to know about The Hobbit.

2 Likes

“In this movie you will be portraying Gandalf the Green-Screened.”

gandalf-the-green-screened

9 Likes

Hugo Weaving rapping in elvish and throwing shade on Dan Brown is my new favorite thing. well, that and rapping hobbits. would’ve been cool if Colbert was able to swing cameos from all the Fellowship, but i’ll take it. crossing my fingers he’ll do a follow-up video later.

4 Likes

Gimli is more into rock than rap music.

8 Likes

Hey, Rage Against the Machine proved that it could still work. i remain hopeful!

3 Likes

20…years…that really magnifies my recently warped sense of time. My internal clock says it’s maybe been 5 at most.

6 Likes

Killer Mike is in it… so…

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

8 Likes

Speaking of LOTR… rapist Harvey Weinstein almost ruined it…

9 Likes

Yep.

6 Likes

When the video started I was like “What the?”

Then Method Man

Then Killer Mike

Shit got real on the shire I say.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t think I could stomach a LOTR filled with the n-word and an even greater fixation on feet.

3 Likes

He deserves an additional decade on his sentences for that alone.

5 Likes

lord of the rings no GIF

4 Likes
1 Like

Too. Much. Awesome.

1 Like