Colbert updates us on some January 6th insurrectionists

Originally published at: Colbert updates us on some January 6th insurrectionists | Boing Boing

6 Likes

This is great Colbert material, but in general, I’m in much more of a r/HermanCainAward kind of mood about this dumpster fire than for jokey late-night type content.

6 Likes

12 Likes

Ahhh, some salve for where I ache…

2 Likes

Do they choose audience members for their hyena-like cackles and shrieks? It was better when it was just him in the broom closet.

4 Likes

I’d guess they’re hired hands. Or hired shrieks.

3 Likes

Obnoxiously loud audience members; not unusual. It’s also not unusual for sitcom/late show script writers to attend their shows and laugh (the loudest) at their own material.

5 Likes

I’ve long suspected hired larfsters likely aren’t unusual either.

4 Likes

I vaguely recall a story about the Mary Tyler Moore Show having one particular laugher out there from one episode to the next. (Part of the production crew, I think…) Anyone who’s watched more than a few episodes would know that laugh (since it was very distinctive and not overshadowed by much actual audience laughter).

5 Likes

I’ve been watching Taxi lately and there’s something similar that pops up once or twice each episode. It sounds like some guy off camera going “AhHH?”, sort of an anticipatory laugh or exclamation of delighted incredulity that doesn’t always happen at the same time as the regular laughter. I’m not even sure if that’s what it is, or if it’s some kind of stage direction that they didn’t have the ability to edit out back then, but it drives me crazy.

4 Likes

I think I know that laugh.

1 Like

More salve for you. Where Would We Be Without Salve? | Ren & Stimpy | NickRewind - YouTube

1 Like

That’s the modern late night show aesthetic. Gotta have a lot of “WOOOOOOOO!”-type noises in the audience. It’s supposed to feel like a frat party, I guess.

2 Likes

You were probably hearing show creator James Brooks.

2 Likes

You’re right. We get to hear him near the tail-end of this short clip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.