Why Trump brings clapping, laughing sycophants to his press events and appearances

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/23/why-trump-brings-clapping-lau.html

8 Likes

49 Likes

*sighs

So tired already, so I’ll just post this clip from the 5 Heartbeats regarding ‘gaming the audience:’

Don’t be afraid to knock that sorry fucking excuse for a piano player out of the way, and play the damn song right…

(Sorry about the shitty quality, but copyrights and all that jazz…)

6 Likes

I mentioned that the cheers came from behind the mic with no one on camera cheering. I read, but can’t find at the moment he forced the crowd to stand solely to then later say he got a standing ovation.

Also, my Trump chaser will never fail - best verger moving through

15 Likes

“Alternate facts” = “triumph of the Will”

Will this buffoon really be undone with public mockery of his every move? Will we get to witness a presidential mental breakdown?

22 Likes

I have to wonder. I mean, since so much of his ego is built on public approbation, how long can he last? GWB and Cheney got away with so much of what they did because they simply didn’t care what their opposition thought. I carry a tiny, feeble flame of hope that Trump may not be able to endure the unending buckets of mockery and pushback, and it seems that the vast majority of his apparatchiks aren’t particularly competent to shield him from it.

28 Likes

His “claque” worked during his campaign, why stop now?

I know that reporters don’t applaud at press conferences, but I suppose his supporters’ ignorance knows no limits.

6 Likes

This tactic was used by Bush in the Florida recount, republican staffers were flown to Florida to stage a “citizen” protest for the news at the government office it was being conducted at.

13 Likes

I dunno. It was quite a revolving door, and by all accounts an utterly halfassed operation. They fell into the White House, practically tripped over the threshold. They had no Karl Rove, no evil genius, no mastermind… part of what’s so scary about this Administration isn’t its wicked cunning schemes to create a Fourth Reich, but its purely bumbling bull-in-a-china-shop incompetence.

I’m put in mind of an actual clown car winning the Daytona 500 by purest dumb luck and attrition.

24 Likes

I remember it well, all the banging on locked doors and such.

I wonder how much these cheerleaders get paid?

4 Likes

Wasn’t George Soros bankrupted by the marches on Saturday?

26 Likes

God knows my wife and daughter better get their invoices submitted ASAP.

24 Likes

i’m going to go reorganize my popcorn gifs, just in case.

20 Likes

This was called “The Brooks Brothers Riot” and was a paid jaunt to put their guy over the top.

You know, like R’s schemed w the Iranians (more than once!) or Trump and Co. thought they were using the Ruskies (Ruskies use YOU!). Rs will deal w the devil himself if it gave them a nickel’s advantage over them thar Demoncrat party evil-doers.

Trickle down indeed.

7 Likes

The conversation around the box is illustrative of the way the Trumps are being covered. It is treated as an awkward social transgression, but observe- (at the 1:00 mark)

I’d like to take this moment to remind everyone–including myself–of how, way back in early 2015, we all laughed and jeered at the news of a certain dead-last-polling Republican primary candidate filling out his first rally hall with locals that he paid to attend and cheer for him.

That man is now president of the United States.

22 Likes

No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

H.L. Mencken

17 Likes

Given his age, laugh tracks seem natural to him.

This would be one of the few modern cases where they would add value.

2 Likes

“On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H. L. Mencken

20 Likes

In the fantasy world inside my head, Alec Baldwin causes Trump to have a stroke/aneurism/heart attack some Saturday night in the near future, and is given the Medal of Honor for his service to his country.

27 Likes