Collection of articles by morons telling readers the Supreme Court wouldn't overturn Roe

If Kathleen Parker tells you to calm down, you’ve got big problems.

8 Likes

Do you really want Majority Leader McTurtle? Because that is how you get Majority Leader McTurtle. We need to face facts, we are not getting anyone any better (from our point of view) out of WV. If we want to make him irrelevant, which we very much do, we need to flip a couple more Repub seats so he does not wield the deciding vote. PA is looking pretty good, but that won’t be sufficient. We need to hold every seat we have and pick up 2.

12 Likes

“He was a perfectly reasonable, professional Justice until some people hurt his feelings and forced him to reverse two generations of reproductive rights out of spite.”

15 Likes

The only thing correct in this post is that Manchin is an asshole. Everything as to how and why is not only incorrect, it doesn’t make sense.

First off, the moron pundits from the article have power and influence due to the strength of their platform.

Second, Manchin isn’t even in the running for dumbest person in Washington. Louie Gohmert holds the bottom ten slots by himself!

Third, republicans don’t control or even hold much sway over him. He does what he does out of pure self-interest. He votes against climate change action because he pretty much owns a coal company. He votes against Dem priorities because it cements his power over the party. He holds their initiatives hostage in order to get his pet projects through.

That’s a dangerous game, though. As soon as he’s no longer holding a knife at the throat of the party, whether due to Dems losing their majority in the Senate or if they add to it, he (should be) toast.

“The Senate will now consider House Bill 14, the Nuke Joe Manchin’s Coal Mine and Houseboat From Orbit Act…

13 Likes

I agree. Instead of a slender half-vote Senate majority, the Democrats need to be in the minority in the Senate. Then, McConnell can hold up all judgeships and SCOTUS nominations until Trump is coronated again. It’s a win-win.

4 Likes

If Obama had done a recess appointment, Merrick Garland would be a Supreme Court Justice today. Again, he played by the rules when the other side didn’t.

The Dems have a friendly map but are going to get crushed in November, because they are spineless cowards who did nothing. They aren’t getting a Supreme Court nominee in 3 months. At least they can show they have some fight. Instead, they’ll continue to follow the approach based on your logic and get dominated in the election.

The reality is that Dems need someone who fights. Not some nerdy, politically correct coward who tries to be nice to everyone whose logic is that appeasement is always the best option. You go appease Manchin. What’s it get you and is it worth what he’s cost you?

Which is why it is critical that the Democrats play to win as many senators as they can. I can see at least 4 plausible wins for them in November if they do this, on top of keeping Arizona and Georgia.

The power that Joe Manchin has is dangerous and he doesn’t care who gets hurt by it. That won’t go away if he is kicked out of the party now, it would only make things worse. I have no intentions of appeasing him, I want him stripped of the power he currently has and the only way to do that, short of a revolution, is to get more senators elected.

Valid criticism of the Democrats is fine, I have plenty of issues with them myself as a Communalist, but you are offering no solutions other than handing power to the Republicans

7 Likes

incorrect. he would have been a justice for a single year, and then replaced

If Merrick Garland is to be seated in the coming weeks at the Supreme Court it will be by way of an Obama recess appointment, if there is a recess, and in that case he will be seated for a year and no more.

recess appointments have limits so that they aren’t abused. obama would have had to do it on jan 3, no later and no earlier, and it likely would have generated some significant constitutional issues - and all for the sake of a single year.

:person_shrugging:

9 Likes

You think that because you’re not a fighter. As it turns out, we got nothing at all.

If he’s on the court, you can fight to keep him on. You put the burden on them to remove him and you have something tangible to campaign on. Their argument was basically we’re too weak to do what it takes, so vote for us. We don’t know if Clinton wins if Garland is on the court. We don’t know the effect of that action.

Here’s some logic for you. Win now and fight later to win later. That was all Trump did. He would do something either illegal or outlandish then fight to keep it. He won a lot because of it. McConnell blocked a Supreme Court Justice, then campaigned and won on it.

The game has changed. Stop making excuses why not. Start doing. We have the White House and Congress and accomplished NOTHING. Republicans had the same and changed America for 20 years. We don’t because they allowed Joe Manchin to run the country, and now they have NOTHING to run on. Republicans already have control, because they control this idiot. Make it formal.

1 Like

That assertion is really starting to piss me off. It’s just not true. For all the faults, and they are many, the Biden administration has accomplished a great deal. The change to the child tax credit alone cannot be understated. Lifting 61 million children out of poverty will have effects that will reverberate for decades to come.

8 Likes

One that kind of amazes me because I know everyone heard about it is that Biden ended the 20 year bonfire of human life that was the war in Afghanistan. First of course it was spun as a bad thing, because America had spent all that time building nothing but grift, and the house of cards collapsed the way it was always going to – so obviously his fault for not giving it just a little more.

But now it feels like it’s just kind of…nothing. Like there was no forever war there, nobody ever started or stopped it, it’s just not an issue to care about. It’s weird.

8 Likes

personal attacks* don’t trump facts. again, i shrug. :person_shrugging: the appointment would have lasted one year. he wouldn’t be on the court now.

( *i think that’s what that statement is? hard to say. maybe you’re complimenting my love of humanity instead. then i’d feel seen. )

eta: missed the important gif. really obama should’ve appointed himself. now that would have been a statement

buzzfeed video news GIF by NowThis

8 Likes

And, again, there are definitely warts but his economic policies have actually moved the needle on wage growth in the US for the first time in, like, 5 decades. It’s got conservatives so freaked out they are pissing themselves trying to find a downside, and blaming inflation that was predominantly due to COVID and Trump’s anti-trade, anti-immigration policies on Biden. It’s a risk for them, because if he can turn it around before midterms, he’s going to look like a freakin’ economic superhero.

7 Likes

Clearly you know “nothing” about what they have done. And, even if what you said were true, nothing would be a paradise compared to what DJT would have done in a second term.

You cannot do a recess appointment for a SCOTUS.

I don’t need to appease him. I just need 1-2 more D senators, so that Manchin is irrelevant. Meanwhile, I am overjoyed that he is a D and not an R.

Really? You’re making personal attacks against other users because you were corrected on a point about how judicial appointments work?

If recess appointments were an effective workaround for getting nominees past a noncooperative Senate then don’t you think Presidents of both parties would use that method all the time?

6 Likes

People were ambivalent about abandoning the women of Afghanistan to the Taliban

If the war had been part of a serious worldwide campaign against misogynistic theocracies, that included e.g. permanent and unambiguous regime change in Saudi Arabia, then there would have been a whole other base of support for it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.