Watch live as Christine Blasey Ford testifies at the Brett Kavanaugh hearing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/27/watch-live-as-christine-blasey.html

8 Likes

10 of them should be able to manage it. The other 11, though…

15 Likes

I cringe to even think this. But I sadly know: the fix is in. Nothing is going to stop Kavanaugh from being shoved into the Supreme Court.

The only possible impediments (either of: Trump withdrawing him, Murkowski/Collins/Manchin all voting No, Kavanaugh himself withdrawing) just are not objectively possible.

2 Likes

The republican introduction was frighteningly bias and misleading.

11 Likes

I think Feinstein was lucid and clear.

7 Likes

DiFi is pretty on target. Hope it helps. Grassley is “sorry” Feinstein mentioned the other allegations? FFS.

9 Likes

Chuck%20Grassley

60 Likes

its beyond me how any republican could doubt the sincerity of this testimony - you’d have to have a pretty cold heart

13 Likes

So far Dr. Ford’s “no testimony before coffee” request has already biased me in her favor.

19 Likes

amazing to me how Dr. Ford is describing how she has been the target of harassment via online, social media, etc avenues…

Where is FLOTUS and her #bebest movement during this?

also, Chuck Grassley is 85. If he worked in the private sector he’d have been forced to retire close to 10 years ago…at what point will we fix this shit with government people seemingly being here for ever.

Edit: @Brainspore RIGHT!!! And also someone offered her a coke in lieu of coffee (she asked for caffeine)…which since she didn’t ask for Pepsi I can conclude she is a normal person and not some unholy terror.

Edit Additional: Does anyone else see the fundamental insanity that is happening right now? as difficult as it is to have a sexual assault survivor even identify their attacker, testify in a court room with only a small group of people present…this woman is being asked to testify before a Senate panel while it is being televised!!! THIS IS INSANITY.

18 Likes

I can’t watch it. Kavanaugh could be an axe-murderer and I still would expect him to get confirmed by the GOP.

14 Likes

I don’t think they do. They just don’t care.

8 Likes

Funny how quiet my workplace is right now.

7 Likes

Diet Coke is better on ice, with a slice of lime and some rum. Diet Pepsi is better just on ice (no rum), ideally on a hot day. Coke Classic is better as an electrical contact cleaner. All bow before RC.

8 Likes

Ultimately it should be enough that it’s a realistic possibility. Congress should not be confirming a Supreme who even might have committed this crime, and if they were facing a Democratic president’s nominees they’d be falling over each other to agree. But they put politics over principle. Grassley’s a vampire; I think I saw an emotion flit across Orrin Hatch’s face, but he won’t allow whatever vestiges of his humanity remain to get in the way of his vote to confirm.

16 Likes

We are off topic here. But we will agree to disagree…Pepsi anything is gross IMO. I don’t mind RC to be honest don’t love colas in general.

I’ll take a Diet Coke or Coke with vodka if anything. But some times I crave a simple diet coke on ice…agreed completely.

2 Likes

Well this flamewar is preferable to the one that is coming so… :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I think I object to this format where Kavanaugh gets to speak second and deny all this trauma.

12 Likes

Well…the saving grace here is all he can do is say “I don’t recall that” or “That didn’t happen”. Which is not exactly very powerful testimony or convincing.

Additionally, I feel the ace in the hole is Rachel Mitchell here. I am wondering "why would the GOP here choose someone who has a long track record of fighting for sexual assault victims and their rights and for justice for them? And it seems to me if she comes through and says “Yes, in my professional opinion she is being truthful…I believe her” the Republicans have their out. They can vote against Kavanaugh and tell 45 “Hey, it’s not our fault…you heard Rachel Mitchell!”

3 Likes

I think I object to the format in its entirety. The FBI should be investigating all of the claims of assault that have been made against Kavanaugh, and his nomination should be on hold.

24 Likes