College of Arms issues rules for managing coats of arms in same-sex marriages

Still, I think Dragon-King-of-Arms would pragmatically roll his eyes in approval at this “enhancement” of his breeding program, so long as no royals were involved.

1 Like

Nice choice with the arms there, @doctorow. Not just the double Hercules, but the Order of the Garter: Shame be to him who thinks evil of it.

They can’t, but apparently they can tear down your arms and jump up and down on them.

Beginning in the reign of Henry VIII, the Kings of Arms were commanded to make visitations, in which they traveled about the country, recording arms borne under proper authority, and requiring those who bore arms without authority either to obtain authority for them, or cease their use. Arms borne improperly were to be taken down and defaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldry#Heralds_and_heraldic_authorities

2 Likes

The arms of Middleton (as in Duchess of Cambridge) also contain a pun, so I’m guessing that punning is normal.

1 Like

So normal it has a name: canting

2 Likes

The College of Arms regularly makes grants of arms throughout the Commonwealth and to citizens of the United States, pretty much all the English-speaking world, actually.

Some discussion of BBers arms, real and fanciful, here: What's on your coat of arms?

1 Like

…impale…

Given the goings-on in the Prussian military and aristocracy prior to WW1, that seems remarkably apt.

Hey! Our Wikipedia illustrator keeps using the same elements copied and pasted between arms:

Is that kosher?

Also, what are the arms: the description of them, or the actual illustration of them? Is “Artist:Sodacan”'s illustration just as valid as the one made by The Keeper of the Royal Arm’s Paintbrush?

… it is about the description and the implementation details are intentionally left often. Visual styles varied greatly over time and between artists and media. Actually it is a remarkably modern formal language, considering how old it is.

Of course it’s kosher. As long as you follow the blazon.

I rather like the idea of using standardized elements in Wikipedia’s heraldry articles-- it makes it easier to follow.

This is a version that comes from a more official source.

Quite correct Sam-Sam and Jerwin. The blazon is the discription and is usually fairly detailed, but heraldic styles can and do change with time and fashon. (The Art Deco period was a particularly good period for heraldic art IMHO.) But as long as the artist stays within the rules there is indeed a lot of leeway in the actual depiction.
BTW I’m beginning to believe the canopy of state (the ‘drapes’) really ought to be crimson or red and not purple as I originally stated.

Someone get this man a lozenge!

2 Likes

It’s a bit like the secret language of the heralds. Not many people know/knew it.

Is one of these two guys the Shrike from Hyperion?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.