What's on your coat of arms?

So I’m in the process of designing a coat or arms for my family. The hardest part has been deciding on a motto.

What would be your family and/or personal motto? The only rule is try to keep it to something brief enough to fit on a coat of arms.

3 Likes

The World Is Subtle. :laughing:

My actual family motto is something akin to “It is a good day to die.” Getting more specific would be telling. :sweat:

13 Likes

21 Likes

Hic Beati Esse - Happy to be here.

5 Likes

My 12-grade academic decathlon team used Nulla victoria sine animus, and I still kinda like that one.

In my darker hours, I’ve been tempted to emblazon Per aspera ad Barstow onto the back of my old pickup.

4 Likes

Why Barstow?

1 Like

Well, there are no good roads to Barstow, yet several promising ones lead away from it.

8 Likes

My family’s coat of arms is a gold klongat below three stars on a green background. My family’s motto is Qapla’ reH!

The coat of arms that I use here is the coat of arms of my character in a tabletop RPG. The number five and the colours red and white are sacred to that character’s god, and the creature is a dracofelas - basically, a sabre-toothed tiger. That character’s motto translates to “The right path is rarely travelled.”

4 Likes

Since I’m in a Galavant mood today…

4 Likes

I know, I know. But:

honi soit qui mal y pense

Maybe.

2 Likes

Let the abyss come and destroy the tyranny of hope.

(with regards to Clive obviously)

2 Likes

you’re a regular. the motto ought to be “nunc est bibendum”

ah, never mind.

1 Like

Maxime innocuus.

2 Likes

My actual clan motto is one of those fighty-killy ones (doesn’t narrow the field much when it comes to clan mottoes), which doesn’t really work for a deracinated liberal. I’d go for “It’s more complicated than that” in Scottish gaelic. Google translate gives:

THA E NAS DUILGHE NA SIN

7 Likes

Or this-

est ad tempus statum perfectionis

Which I rather like.

2 Likes

Coitus non circum

Eta

But in all seriousness it is nunquam non paratus.

3 Likes

I just looked up the actual coat of arms for my family - there’s some variety in the interpretations, but the common theme appears to be a sweet armored pimp hat

7 Likes

Pimp hats unite!

8 Likes

if it looks like a helmet for a frog - is it still pimpy?

(hmm. a moon and an arrow. maybe not frog but alien?)

7 Likes

That is a surreal coat of arms :smiley:

Eta

Surreal in the, “I wish that was mine…” sorta way. Maybe I should design a new coat of arms.

4 Likes