Colluding with foreigners to influence an election is a crime

Oh no! Your rights…

3 Likes

How have you managed to not turn in a resignation letter?

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, I would stay for the lulz.

2 Likes

Fake reality!!!

2 Likes

…and into his boss’s cell instead of his own.

Put succinctly by The Onion:

16 Likes

This is already a settled matter, the FEC has ruled that any kind of assistance can be considered a thing of value, a list of phone numbers or emails, even polling data.

[edited to add]

And this is also connected to why the Clinton campaign paying for Christopher Steele’s assistance is not illegal-- they paid for it, it wasn’t his free contribution or donation (and it’s also not foreign influence-- he wasn’t working in the stead of the British government.) The crime they may have committed is not properly accounting for those payments.

9 Likes

But see United States v. Petrovic, 701 F.3d 849.

These holdings reflect the principle that value is a subjective, rather than objective, concept where “the focus of the . . . term is to be placed on the value which the defendant subjectively attaches” to what is sought to be received. United States v. Gorman, 807 F.2d 1299, 1305 (6th Cir. 1986); see also United States v. Williams, 705 F.2d 603, 622-23 (2d Cir. 1983). Although these cases differ in procedural postures and involve different statutes than does the present case, we see no reason why a “thing of value” under § 875(d) is more narrow than what the broad term of art encompasses in other contexts. A defendant can attach value to a “sexual relationship” just as readily as to sexual intercourse or other sex-related considerations, and a “sexual relationship” may be an intangible “thing of value” one intends to extort under § 875(d). The district court did not err by instructing the jury that a “sexual relationship” could be a “thing of value” under § 875(d).

4 Likes

Are you trying to muddy the waters of this particular issue because there is no argument here. The good Senator just read to you the code of the law for the United States of America. The only one arguing this is the trump-wrong side.

Exactly. You might notice I envisioned a future two-sided conversation, as most conversations tend to be.

2 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

My favorite quote on the subject of whether collusion is a crime:

“You probably won’t find the crime bank heist in the criminal code but bank robbery is a crime too, and so I am sort of perplexed that it has come down to synonyms,” said Rosenberg, who once headed the Drug Enforcement Administration.
6 Likes

Okay, fair enough, but that’s quite a leap in conjecture on the reader’s part.

Thanks, this (and other similar replies) really clarified it.

When the joke has to be explained to someone…

2 Likes

Collusion is a lot like hacking. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what it means, and there is legal hacking. But telling the judge ‘there is no such crime as hacking’ will not get you anywhere in your electronic theft/trespass case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.