Colon cancer incidence rises sharply in under 50s

Originally published at: Colon cancer incidence rises sharply in under 50s - Boing Boing

6 Likes

I know they changed the recommendations for your first colonoscopy to 45 years. Due to Covid I had mine delayed, but my hrrmmph hrmph had the ol’ skiddily-doo last year and everything looked great, they said.

3 Likes

Let’s get the obvious causes over with: Kombucha, fancy coffees and avocado toast. :wink:

6 Likes

if I get it, I’m convinced it is gonna be from that time (the following is not safe for anyone) I had a poo in a public conference center toilet and the toilet water splashed back up and gave me a direct hit and probably gave me some sort of secret cancer virus they will discover soon but not soon enough. yes it was Moscone. good guess.

2 Likes

yep, sounds absolutly right to me. fuck.

The CDC recommends screening for colorectal cancer starting at 45, but a colonoscopy isn’t the only screening option. Tests like the FIT are fairly effective too.

8 Likes

Turns out that cigarettes prevented it. Who could have known?

3 Likes

true. but only cause cigarettes killed you first…

7 Likes

Jokes aside, there appears to be a correlation between smoking and colorectal cancer. I suspect it contributed to my grandfather’s death from colon cancer. Best not to smoke.

12 Likes

You missed the more proximal cause: student loan debt forgiveness.

9 Likes

My dad smoked a pipe, but neither my brother nor my first cousin (dad’s nephew) smoked. The only thing they had in common was the age (52 to 54). My brother survived, and he took a genetic test. And nope, no genetic predisposition.

6 Likes

Just do the colonoscopy if you are over 40. They now have an alternative to the gross liquid you need to drink to clean you out, you can take 20 horse pills instead. Had My First Colonoscopy in January 2023 and it went pretty smooth overall. I recommend getting a heated bidet attachment for your toilet, made my posterior happier when The Poopening started.

7 Likes

I gotta ask the doc about this next time; PEG 3350 permanently changed my relationship with Gatorade. Ugh.

6 Likes

Yeah I much prefer the screening-by-mail option.

Probably a bunch of conspiracy theorists insisting it leads to massive colon fraud or something though.

4 Likes

Fair point. I will say anyone a bit apprehensive of the procedure, don’t be. It really is one of these least painful or uncomfortable procedures I have had done. Other than the IV needle, no pain or discomfort at all. Drug induced sleeps are fun.

The prep the night before was the hardest part. As someone chronically constipated from opiates, it was kind of a nice change of pace. I DID buy a bidet to help things go easier, and it combined with my electric tooth brush are my two “must have life improvement things” in the bathroom (followed by a water pick).

But either way, I wouldn’t sleep on getting screened. Colon cancer seems a right… pain in the ass.

4 Likes

When I read this my brain went to totally the wrong place.

jim carrey reaction s GIF

4 Likes

Yes, DO NOT COMBINE THOSE TWO THINGS.

3 Likes

I am sure there is an SNL skit in there somewhere.

“Wow, these Japanese toilets do EVERYTHING.”

2 Likes

or at least leave the toothbrush there on the bidet from then on.

1 Like

That reminds me of when Dr. Doofenschmirtz was attacked by his own toothbrush after it got hit by an evil ray or something.

1 Like