Colorado bear with munchies breaks into pie shop, eats all pies but one

I like “commenter pie.”

3 Likes

I wonder if this is covered by insurance? Loss of revenue due to hungry bears.

Could be, in a woodsy state like Colorado.

I know someone who works at this shop very well. It’s in a small community called Pinewood Springs, in between Lyons and Estes Park. I lived there for a while.

The cutesy side of this story is fine, but please acknowledge the reality:
This bear is going to be put down. It’s been breaking into houses in the area as well.

It’s weird that bear / human interactions have been really high this year, because we’ve had a lot of rain, so you’d think there’d be an abundance of natural food sources for bears, yet they’re a major problem this year. All across the region they’re breaking into houses really obnoxiously this year. I wonder if it’s a population problem?

5 Likes

Probably, yes.

Rhubarb is merely a gateway pastry to gooseberry pie.

5 Likes

I’m curious - what kind of crust is used when making commenter pie?

Yes.

I hear there’s a vehicle making the rounds you might want to catch a ride on. Since you’re clearly not from this planet or any other PLANET. :wink:

1 Like

Oh god, yes. To say nothing of gooseberry fool. The real reason I had to leave Britain.

Do you guys not understand how fruit works? The sweet stuff…that’s what you want to eat. If you have to cook it and add a ton of sugar and the consistency ends up being simultaneously thin and yet glutinous, it’s not worth eating.

1 Like

Or even the consequinces.

3 Likes

You get extra pie for the bonus word URStwhile!!

edited to add: HEY! Stop ninja-editing. That was a hilarious sentence.

2 Likes

I got a bit lost. I didn’t want to delete my previous message. I just wanted to eta something. How do I reinstate it? Could Falcor help me?

“The bear ate 24 cherry pies and 14 apple pies.”
That’s 38 pies. That’s nearly as many as four tens.
And that’s terrible.

The rhubarb pie was either too hot or too cold. All others where just right.

2 Likes

Any way, I said something like, this urstwhile pie-tester must bear the consequinces. Rhubarb is lush.

1 Like

Maybe they want to get out of the rain.

1 Like

Hopefully this will teach people not to pollute rhubarb foods with strawberries.

1 Like

… crust [for] commenter pie

Billy graham cracker crust doesn’t quite work. Anything flaky; overworking elongates the gluten threads.

Mmm… apples…

It took me five minutes to read because I was laughing so hard.

My husband’s comment had something to do with why America is so far behind other countries economically because of the fake bear yelp account. This from someone who has to tweet for his job.

I don’t care; it was funny!

I used to think that countermeasures homeowners in bear country had to employ were just a bit… much. Sure sure, those of us who have been camping in bear country know the rules about hanging your food bag up really high in a tree (but don’t bears climb? never really understood that part), and the bear-proof food boxes, and the welded metal trash cans in most state and national parks, but this, really:

http://www.tahoebearbusters.com/services.html

?

Electrical fencing? Metal-plate doormats? Aye carumba. I see the pie shop has had to electrify its garbage can.

Now I feel duly chastened–and lucky. Here in rural central Texas, all I have to deal with is skunks, rattlesnakes, deer (aka giant hooved rats), raccoons, possums, foxes (often carrying rabies), bats (also a rabies vector), Africanized honey bees, scorpions, 4 kinds of wasps, the occasional mountain lion and of course coyotes. Seriously, by comparison, growing our food out here is a cake walk.

; )