Colorado's investment in IUDs and other fire-and-forget birthcontrol produced a "miracle"

Are there weed checkpoints at the border?

4 Likes

But it’s the tax savings that sells it to conservative states. Actually I think this kind of analysis lends itself very nicely to a social welfare bond approach; rather than having a state budget line item for “birth control” or even “women’s health services” a bond could be issued to fund the system, with returns based on the reduction in state health care costs to suppprt teen pregnancies. I bet a lot more conservative states would jump at that sort of “market based” solution.

14 Likes

Thanks to all for the enlightenment. I had not encountered the phrase
before (that I can remember).

6 Likes

Pretty close actually. Kansas and Oklahoma tried to sue over the costs of increasing enforcement at the borders.

There’s big business in pot tourism now. We just voted in a statute allowing recreational pot clubs to smoke indoors. It was a problem where the law allows you to buy it, grow it and smoke it but only in your home - can’t smoke it in public. People coming from out of state legally have no where to imbibe without breaking the law.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/20/520538369/as-colorado-gets-ready-to-allow-pot-clubs-indoor-smoking-still-an-issue

10 Likes

Grifters always want to grift. But adding the rentier costs to the savings
doesn’t help the taxpayers.

3 Likes

State funded birth control is a fiscally sound policy. Sadly the fundie right wing nut jobs have their fingers too tightly clamped on American politics. They are stuck on the issue that they are enabling harlots and believe that unauthorized sex should be punished with a child that they also want to deny any assistance to.

21 Likes

that depends what they’re in the market for

5 Likes

Fire and forget refers typically to self-guiding munitions that handle targeting and everything without human intervention after they are fired off. The term is used metaphorically to refer to other things that can “take care of themselves” after being “launched.”

Edit: probably should have checked if others replied!

6 Likes

It would be nice to think that, but remember, conservatives are goddamned hypocritical liars. They don’t give two runny shits about fiscal responsibility if they can impose draconian demands on women instead.

15 Likes

Unfortunately the story has a sad epilogue. The program ran from 2009 to 2014 funded by a private grant. In 2015 a bill was put forth in the state legislature to continue funding it from the state budget, but it was voted down, with republicans arguing that an IUD works by “inducing an abortion” in a newly fertilized egg. It seems that even here in enlightened Colorado we still regard bullshit, emotional non-facts over women’s quality of life and economic common sense.

30 Likes

Egg-zackly. My Christian Dominionist relatives want mandatory drug testing for aid recipients, a ban on abortion, a ban on prescriptionless birth control, and the extermination of LGBTQ folks. Their religious beliefs can be boiled down to “God loves me and wants all of you miserable and dead.”

I realize #NotAllChristians but there are apparently at least 62 million dominionists voting in the US.

29 Likes

Fuck those assholes. If they get cancer, they ought to be rejected for treatment. Can we just round up all them and send them back to England whence they came?

3 Likes

So far tornado checkpoints have been ineffective as well, though one major storm was ticketed for traveling down the interstate without either paying the toll or using a K-Tag.

23 Likes

Obedience is at the root of formal structures of power. Men (ie, husbands, fathers) get cut in on sharing the spoils of that system by being the “head of household”. It is a hierarchical structure with women and children at the bottom, and keeping that structure in place (ie by opposition to gay marriage and birth control) perpetuates the rewards of that system.

6 Likes

Sad how the Religious Right (a political movement) has brainwashed evangelicals, especially Protestant evangelicals. Because they trust, they are easily taken advantage of. Of course it has nothing whatsoever to do with Christ – common sense and thinking is eliminated by faith/trust.

7 Likes

“Reason is Satan’s bitch.”

• Martin Luther

Protestants, like Catholics, had their foundation built on rejecting reason and human empathy. America’s early religious settlers - the Puritans - were exiled from England for committing violence against less devout Christians and secularists.

9 Likes

“fire and forget” means you install it, inject it or what have you and the person need not think about it again for a good length of time.

Derives from “fire and forget” missiles that do not need someone to be pointing laser, aiming them or otherwise exposing themselves to return fire.

For many people and especially for people way down on the education/smarts rung of life this is a much better option as no one needs to try to remember to take a daily pill or remember where they left them today or can they afford a refill this
week or even “Did I take the damn thing today?”…

A depressing number of people these days seem unable to follow even basic instructions, so anything that can be done to make vital things like birth control simpler is a good thing.

The simpler a process, the more likely people will be to follow it and the less room there is for any sort of error.

Whole lot of firing and forgetting going on.

24 Likes

There was ‘splainin’ to be done.

26 Likes

I’m sure that somehow this is a war on Christianity. :thinking:

16 Likes