Comcast repairman doesn't give a damn that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck

Comcast worker continues to not care, because he needs to make money to pay his mortgage and feed his family. he can’t do that if he gets fired or gets killed.

desk jockeys continue to be smug AF from the comfort of their expensive chairs and chiklet keyboards.

people need to slow TF down

13 Likes

Who’s got time for that when there are viral videos to monetize and cable repair techs to villainize?

4 Likes

OSHA guidelines say between 50 and 100 feet JUST for the length of the tapering lane, People have figured this stuff out already, for Pete’s sake.

https://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_materials/fy10/sh-21004-10/wztc_refguide.pdf

8 Likes

26 Likes

100% of the blame belongs to the drivers. If you lose control of your vehicle because you are going too fast for the conditions or are too cheap to buy snow tires – it’s on you dude.

16 Likes

So if I go to a road where I know most drivers will go too fast for the bad weather conditions, and set up a blockage I know will cause numerous accidents, I’m entirely blameless?

IANAL, but my guess is that a court would not share your logic.

10 Likes

not to completely side with the Comcast contractor, but a big part of it is that people drive like jackholes in icy weather. Just keep driving as fast as you would on dry pavement. Why else did you buy that expensive 4-wheel drive vehicle? Hell! Drive (and brake) even FASTER!

Not to completely disagree with you but a big part of it is I disagree with you. Your responsibility in a situation like this is to prepare for people to act in the way that they will, not in the way that they should.

20 Likes

The jackass in the black pickup who rear-ended the VW is the prime example of the type of asshole who doesn’t know how to drive in the winter.

Even if the Comcast guys were not blocking the lane he was going way too fast for conditions. The fact that he spun out into the front yards of several houses after hitting the guy is some indication of his excessive speed.

Notice too that he drove off later in the vid - no doubt because he lacks insurance and/or valid driver’s license.

I see more and more guys like that stuck in ditches every year.

14 Likes

My ex seems to have to assign blame to everything that goes wrong. Some times there is clearly someone to blame. Some times it is a mix of circumstance and errors. Often time blame isn’t with anyone one thing, but several things aligning. Sort of like the end to a good Guy Ritchie movie.

4 Likes

As much fun as it is to deride Comcast, it is irresponsible not to call in a dangerous road condition (including if it involves Comcast’s trucks)

3 Likes

I agree with Randomizer. This is the fault of the car drivers. There are many reasons a lane might get blocked, and a repair truck is just one. If drivers can’t slow down in time, the are driving too fast. So many highway workers are injured/killed annually in work zones, I can hardly blame the Comcast guy for using his truck to protect him when cars could easily be skidding off the road.

For those who think this is “only” cable and the inconvenience is missing a few hours of TV, think again. For many people, cable now provides their phone service, and that can be a lifeline. For others, it is carrying internet, which might be how they run their small business. It is perfectly reasonable for this work to go forward. My only complaint would be that the Comcast guy should have made sure there was a long enough distance of warning to get allow people time before they would hit his truck, but even with that, drivers need to pay attention, get off their cell phones and drive at a speed appropriate for conditions.

13 Likes

I agree. There’s blame to go around. Reckless driving, inadequate signage and reckless training.

I’d be a little more sympathetic if he had bothered to put up the other cones he said he had, or at least showed an iota of caring about the ongoing accidents that wouldn’t have been happening if he hadn’t been there.

Odds of death or injury from car accident > odds of death or injury from not having a landline for a day in an age when the vast majority of people have cell phones.

6 Likes

The Comcast turkey must have felt really confident that passers-by wouldn’t push the truck off the road, or otherwise move it themselves to clear the thoroughfare.

1 Like

if comcast think they are ‘by royal appointment’ that’s that

1 Like

That isn’t going to be that guy’s call.

Especially the second guy going up in the bucket. The truck being there probably melted just enough of the ice under it to make it really slippery. If that pick-up hadn’t veered off and almost hit two houses, it would have hit the truck, almost certainly overcoming its static friction and sending it into the ditch where the workers were.

4 Likes

This is what I couldn’t understand. If it was me I would stand near the crest of the hill and warn arriving cars to slow down BEFORE they see the Comcast van and try to slow down.

The people whose cars slid of the road could have been more proactive in this respect instead of just arguing with the guy to put down extra cones.

2 Likes

Put your money where your mouth is; offer to cover this guy’s salary while he looks for something else.

I thought not.

2 Likes

Who are these drivers that can’t go around 1 vehicle. If you vehicle can’t handle the road don’t drive on it.

Ive been the utility worker in the ditch and I would also park my vehicle between me and a bunch of bad drivers.

If these drivers can’t drive around a vehicle that is parked what would they do if someone ahead for into an accident…join them?

7 Likes

He was totally being proactive, trying to get Comcast to make the conditions safer, offering several solutions, then implementing one himself. He did more than anybody else to make conditions safer. Trying to blame the videographer for not doing a job that was not his when he actually did do the job that was not his is ridiculous.

16 Likes