Comcast repairman doesn't give a damn that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck

[edt] I gotta add more to this. The Comcast drivers are at fault for setting up a deficient work zone here. They’ve set up a lane closure without a detour route posted, any advance signage, nor do they have flaggers on site to manage the traffic. If anyone cares to be bored stiff figuring out all the ways they’ve gone wrong, they can go read the MUTCD Chapter 6, which covers roadway work zones from low-volume local roads, all the way up to multi-lane freeways.

25 Likes

Indianapolis doesn’t believe in salt and sand on the road?

1 Like

It’s a really easy way to get thrown out of a lift bucket. These guys are idiots about their own safety, let alone that of others :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Needing a job isn’t justification for endangering people. But as I said, I’d be sympathetic if the workers hadn’t showed total disregard for people’s safety. I get that you want to reduce it to a black-and-white situation where only one party is to blame, but that’s not how this works.

But I like how you think it’s the public’s responsibility not to endanger people before you think the workers or company they work for have any obligation to not cause a road hazard.

Your fuck everyone for not being a perfect winter driver mentality is certainly…simple.

Most icy winter places I’ve lived, it takes at least half a day to get the roads salted.

10 Likes

That happened to my cousin, under different circumstances.

So put your money where your mouth is. You think he should do something likely to get him fired. Fine. You get to fund that or you get to admit you’re full of it.

2 Likes

No. I want Comcast to train and equip their workers to put up proper signage. I already subsidize those regional monopolies through the taxes that pay for their infrastructure.

I don’t think he would get fired for putting out more cones. But thanks for casting my position as the one you want to snidely attack instead of the one I’m actually taking. I’ll be over here while you’re arguing with your straw man.

13 Likes

Right, because if your job requires you to do something that will kill people it is @GulliverFoyle’s responsibility to pay your salary to not kill people. Got it. Makes perfect sense.

10 Likes

If you know that some people will make the mistake of driving too fast for conditions, and you can reasonably predict that your actions will make that hazardous behavior substantially more hazardous, and you do nothing to address the problem, then you have created a hazard. This video will be very helpful for the insurance companies who will be suing Comcast to repay them for the cost of the claims made as a result of these accidents, but of course Comcast will not be held responsible for the lost time of the people who went into a ditch as a result of this malfeasance.

What is particularly amazing is that the Comcast guy doesn’t realize that a car could swerve to avoid the truck and hit him. Anybody with a modicum of common sense would not be standing on the side of the road near that truck, parked the way it is. But I’m-right-ism seems to win out a lot over common sense for some reason.

13 Likes

How much you care about that is measured in dollars. You want the guy out working in the cold and snow to pay for your concerns while you blather on the internet that guy is fixing?

It doesn’t work that way. If you honestly think he should quit, you get to put your skin in the game. If you won’t that’s a tacit admission you wouldn’t in his shoes.

:astonished:

Those things are dangerous enough as it is - all sorts of hazards, including electrocution hazard. Really stupid of the Comcast guys to make their own job even more dangerous by not marking their lane closure adequately.

2 Likes

or a direct action-type environmentalist

2 Likes

I honestly think that your responsibility to not kill people is greater than “you might get fired”. But, be sure to tell us all your IRL identity so we can all know to stay the hell away from you since you would apparently be willing to kill us all if it meant keeping your job.

9 Likes

Im unsure anyone is solely blaming the guys for doing their job. The problem is their entire lack of care about what is happening around them.

And then he is going to suspend himself in air with the very truck they are using as a blocker? At some point he needs to realize the safety of his surroundings is going to inhibit him from actually getting the job done.

2 Likes

Also, salting the roads can make them more slippery, as the salt melts the snow and turns it into a frictionless surface.

3 Likes

If I were in his shoes I would have set up a safe work site as required by law, including putting signs out on the other side of a visual barrier. And I would have listened when someone pointed out that I’d fucked up, if I didn’t notice that that needed to be done when I first set up my work site. I would have taken responsibility for my actions, not acted all self-righteous about having “a job”.

Also, I suspect that neither of those guys is working for Comcast anymore.

11 Likes

He seems to think the weight of the work truck will keep it in place. On a dry road with decent traction, he’d probably be right. This is probably what Comcast, per their own insurance company’s guidelines, told them to do, failing to account for icy roads. It amazes me how much people don’t understand the effect of wet ice on friction.

For the last time, I think he should put out cones at the top of the hill before the cars coming over it can’t stop by the time they see the cones around the Comast trucks.

If you still pretend to misunderstand that, then you’re either disingenuous or your reading comprehension is beyond help.

4 Likes

If we follow the logic of Trump’s other appointees he will be put in charge of the Department of Transportation.

11 Likes

I think a lot of them have switched to a sand-salt mix to provide traction and melt the snow/ice.

1 Like

Around in KC, they will pre salt if they know something is coming.

2 Likes