Comcast repairman doesn't give a damn that cars are sliding off the road to avoid his truck

No, you put the blame on the guy doing his job with the tools and procedures given to him. Now that you’re called on your bullshit, you’re trying to weasel out of it rather than just admit that wasn’t reasonable.

1 Like

No, you said:

1 Like

Nope, the crew’s safety and the safety of others on the field is a priority. This would’ve been a no brainer to reschedule, or get additional field assistance like someone flagging. But the guy didn’t care and wanted to get the job done, even if it put motorists in danger. Doesn’t matter if people were driving like idiots, escalating the risk on the road because of other people is not worth getting the job done on time.

7 Likes

That’s smart. We don’t get much ice in Austin (maybe two or three times each winter), only a few times in the 12 years I’ve lived here have they not put down sand if it looked like ice might happen. They’re especially good about doing the bridges and overpasses. You’d think they’d be less on the ball given that we don’t get much experience with cold weather. More northerly cities I’ve lived in on the East Coast , I sometimes wonder if they just don’t stockpile enough for the winter.

The Comcast technicians had other tools available, including more cones. His smattering of cones was demonstrably and inarguably insufficient for safety under the situation at hand and he didn’t give a rat fuck about it. That is willful negligence, the kind of thing that gets people hurt, and makes the technician and Comcast morally and legally culpable for the injuries and property damage caused by their negligence.

Once they knew they were causing accidents the technicians had a responsibility to not keep doing the same thing that they were doing and were obligated to either get out of the road or fix the signage and lane control set up.

One accident Comcast could have claimed “we had no idea”. But every one after that is negligence. And Comcast is going to have to payout for each and every one of them.

13 Likes

Yeah, that doesn’t always work: if it’s cold enough, it just turns into a brown slurry. Unfortunately, road crews seem to use the same tactics regardless of the temperature, so on brown slurry days you may simply not be able to avoid sliding down a hill and into an intersection or, as is the case here, into a truck.

2 Likes

I did not see that. I stand corrected. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, in direct response to @Sqyntz question of what I would do if it was between endangering lives and having to find a new job. As I said, reading comprehension is your friend. I don’t expect the Comcast workers to do what I would do, but I have no sympathy for people who don’t care enough to lift a few more cones.

And yes, I’ve been poor. I know soup kitchen lines suck. It’s still people’s own responsibility not to create a road hazard, and creating a bullshit argument that their attention to safety is my responsibility or that of anyone criticizing their lack of it doesn’t change that, even if you think it does, your callous attitude notwithstanding.

I get it, you identify with the workers and will use whatever contorted argument you think excuses their actions and shifts all blame to the drivers or anyone publicly criticizing them. It doesn’t.

2 Likes

Comcast guy needs to up his giving a shit about traffic game and do a better job and keep the other van at the top of the hill with more cones. Just because other people are shit drivers doesn’t mean you should ignore that fact and give the equivalent of “What ya gonna do?”

3 Likes

I’m sure if that pick-up had gone through one of those houses’ living room, the people living there would have been grateful that at least they’d have cable to watch it on the evening news. /s

6 Likes

Ok, if you honestly believe that, make a donation to the Red Cross in the amount of a Comcast Field Technician’s yearly wages (at least about $30,000).

If you can’t post a receipt for that, at least have the honesty to back down and admit you wouldn’t really do it.

1 Like

I’m screaming at the screen “call the cops”. You can’t reason with an employee of the phone or gas and electric company. They think they are cops. Why don’t people call the police in a situation like this? I am sure that someone from one of the wrecked cars did. Where are they? Call the damn cops…

1 Like

It’s Trump’s America, people. Business rules and there are no rules for business. And those pink “pants” that the woman is wearing? Those are pajamas. I see those all the time, and it’s depressing. We live in a country where people wear pajamas in public.

That it’s my responsibility to prevent Comcast employees from creating a road hazard is your bullshit premise. Your tu quoque defense of the Comcast employees isn’t as clever as you think. If you get mugged, I’ll expect receipts for your donation to a relevant charity in the amount needed to lift your mugger out of poverty. Oh, wait, no I won’t because I don’t subscribe to your warped notions of blaming anyone except the culpable party.

7 Likes

More than likely they are scrubs not pajamas. Many medical workers wear scrubs full time - including dental assistants and med techs.

6 Likes

Why is any business of yours what she wears?

11 Likes

After the first couple of slide-offs, he was on notice that his markings were inadequate and that he had created a hazardous condition. Not to correct that is more that just negligent, it’s reckless, or willful and wanton negligence, if you prefer. I doubt that his employer is going to be pleased by his dedication.

11 Likes

Me in my expensive chair:

Comcast douchebag is a whisker from depraved indifference homicide.

11 Likes

Yeah, but what would having all of the nearby black people shot actually do to resolve the traffic hazard? I mean, maybe the salt from all the blood might de-ice the road, but…

3 Likes