Comedian Tom Segura shares bizarre anecdote about reviled senator

Originally published at: Comedian Tom Segura shares bizarre anecdote about reviled senator | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I kept trying to think who this might be the whole time. And I couldn’t come up with anything, but then the reveal at the end was, indeed, completely unsurprising. I should have figured it out sooner.

18 Likes

Yes, completely unsurprising that it turned out to be You Know Who.

But it would have been equally unsurprising if it had turned out to be any one of about a dozen others. Because that’s where we are today.

18 Likes

Called it! (I skipped to the end to see if I was right.)

7 Likes

I hear you! But in retrospect it was totally them from the get go.

Least surprising reveal ever!

7 Likes

Yeah, it sounds like a conversation with somebody who likes debating and arguing more than they like talking and being human, so not surprising.

11 Likes

I called it before watching the video, then had my guess confirmed at every point right up to and including the reveal.

I’d like to think that if I were a famous person I’d have the brains to not have a conversation like that with an individual whose whole job is to talk about conversations like that in large public forums. Also, I can’t imagine having a conversation like that with a total stranger.

9 Likes
  1. His new special is pretty hilarious. I’ve enjoyed all of his specials.

2. This bit should have been left in.

5 Likes

If this Senator thinks “the most disrespectful thing a person can do is fuck your mom” then he must have some real big daddy issues (again, not surprising given who we’re talking about).

12 Likes

Fits in w/ Cruz’s notion of himself as some kind of comic.

10 Likes

“Get out of the road, you dumb motherfucker.” The last word was a novelty in the speech of white people in 1944. It was fresh and astonishing to Billy, who had never fucked anybody, and it did its job.”

–Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

16 Likes

He should quit his day job. Not because he could make it as a comedian, just on general principles of him being a horrible representative for the people of Texas.

14 Likes

I vaguely remembered something about Tom Segura moving to Austin, so I assumed the answer, but this could be any public conservative.

2 Likes

Thanks for that reference! Eye-opener.

3 Likes

Makes this story make even more sense:

5 Likes

Absolutely. I’m a comic actor who’s done a little standup, and my wife is a retired comedy writer. Those are my bonafides. Cruz’s statements are typical of someone who thinks they understand what funny is but absolutely doesn’t. They think being funny is the same as being mean. Sometimes being mean can be funny, but they are by no means a full Venn diagram overlap. You see this a lot in “funny” conservatives; their audience may make a noise, but it won’t be laughter, more of a woo-woo or ooh or something like that, like you’d respond to someone doing something risky and dangerous.

This is also where we get the phenomenon of Schrödinger’s Douchebag. Someone in a social setting says something simply mean and horrible, and when people are shocked, they claim it was a joke. If the people agree with them, it wasn’t a joke, it was a sincere statement of belief.

28 Likes

:smirk:

10 Likes

Closely related to and possibly overlapping with Schroedinger’s Bigot.

4 Likes

And I’d always heard of Schrödinger’s Nazi. It’s an official policy of the Daily Stormer Style Guide.

6 Likes

the perfect First Post doesn’t exis—
waitaminnit.

5 Likes