Comic artist Rob Liefeld to publish new memoir

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/05/comic-artist-rob-liefeld-to-publish-new-memoir.html

4 Likes

The title? Robservations. Yes, really.

Well, it was either that or “Pouches of Wisdom”. Or maybe “Ankles: A Balancing Act”.

7 Likes

Bet there won’t be any footnotes.

Or maybe just really tiny ones.

27 Likes

It will, however, have a very large frontispiece and physically impossible body.

4 Likes

Referring to him as a “legend” does irreparable disservice to actual legends, but maybe this just set me off on the wrong foot today (but really, his art is terrible)

6 Likes

Tea Spill It GIF by Design Museum Gent

4 Likes

I dunno - he IS a legend. He isn’t a legend like Ditko or Kirby or Neal Adams etc were, but he definitely has left an indelible mark in comics. Even if you hate every thing he has ever done, there are a lot of artists whose works were derivative of his.

I’d argue Bob Kane is a legend, even though he was a terrible artist and terrible person.

6 Likes

Jonah Hill References GIF

2 Likes

Sorry for ruining your day. Though yeah, I’d argue he is a legend, for better or for worse (and I think I made it pretty clear what kind of legend I think he is)

7 Likes

I remain unimpressed by this feat.

12 Likes

Rimshot Badum Bum GIF by Studios 2016

5 Likes

Once upon a time there was a man who wanted to draw comics, even though he had never seen another human before…

8 Likes

Not a big fan of his art but I salute him for having a healthy sense of humor about himself.

11 Likes

I was in a comic book shop the other day and I saw that Spawn is up to like number three hundred and fifty something. I have never read an issue of Spawn and I probably never will but I gotta respect the dude for making his life into something where he just sits around all day drawing cool monster dudes beating the shit out of each other, and is involved in running a comic book company that takes a lot of chances on really personal work.

3 Likes

Todd McFarlane doesn’t even draw Spawn any more!

2 Likes

Oh, and in another example of Liefeld’s orginiality, Robservations was also the name of a column he wrote for a comics website in the early 2000s

3 Likes

looks through some credits on Image’s site

huh, you’re right, looks like all he does in comics lately is write a few books - not the main Spawn title - and do the odd cover. It sounds like he’s mostly busy with trying to get another Spawn movie together, plus whatever running Image and McFarlane Toys requires from him.

Still a pretty enviable lifestyle, I’d say.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.