Rob Liefeld to celebrate 30th anniversary of comics speculator market boom with NFT

Originally published at: Rob Liefeld to celebrate 30th anniversary of comics speculator market boom with NFT | Boing Boing

4 Likes

@thomdunn, how could you not link to That Article though?

(and sequel:)

16 Likes

I assume this will be a collection of ten thousand muscles that do not exist in the human body?

13 Likes

If Liefeld were asked to draw an “item of value”, the result would be an NFT – grotesque, distorted, gaudy and over-adorned.

10 Likes

This is truly a match made in heaven.

6 Likes

As with “crypto”, any headline with NFT in it can be fully understood by replacing “NFT” with “scam”.
And frankly, this basically just means that Liefield has accepted that he’s scum, and is now working hard to earn all of the hate he’s ever received.

3 Likes

Can’t draw for shit but still want to get into the art market?
Try NFTs today!!

10 Likes

Looking at that lead image made me realize something; Liefeld drawings are basically an assemblage of somewhat competently executed elements brought together into a whole. The hair, for instance could be from any one of a number of his characters and consists of little fire-like swirls that he uses to fill space. Basically a draw-by-numbers approach. The pouches, the accessories, the puffy tailoring on uniforms… all of them are little elements he assembles in a pretty formulaic fashion, but he clearly falls off the cliff when it comes to the fundamentals of drawing; musculature, realistic stances, proportion, etc. It points to a fundamental lack of core technique and classic discipline a la Andrew Loomis or Alex Ross. He’s talked about this before, but I never really put it all together until now. Tbh, it was probably really damaging to my drawing skills as I repetitively drew Shatterstar, but using his “outside-in” approach, usually starting with most the obvious external elements and then just populating the rest of the space with noise. It’s like Jim Lee’s style without much of the core competence.

Anyway, just an observation. I’ve always had a hard time fully shitting on his work because it was so formative for me, but it’s also really clear that he lacked some core competencies that I could never really put my finger on until now. I mean, he clearly can draw feet, it just seems that his fundamental lack of understanding of anatomy paints him into a corner with certain poses that he can’t comprehend fully and so just kind of half-heartedly fills space.

ETA: It’s also probably worth noting how much heavy lifting the digital coloring that dawned in that era did. It’s much easier to create depth and dimension in a way that classic comics printing wouldn’t have been able to accommodate. Without that, a lot of his drawings look really flat.

9 Likes

Will the NTF be an image of poorly drawn feet?

13 Likes

11th-doctor-why-cry

I will be GLAD when this NFT scam final busts for the last time…

6 Likes

condescending no way GIF by Geo Law

It stands for No Fucking Toes.

12 Likes

He’s too late.

Is anyone surprised?

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I was gonna say Frank Miller would also be a match, but as crazy as that dude is, he’s probably not crazy enough to mint an NFT.

1 Like

I hear he has a side gig painting garage doors and stuff.

5 Likes

That posture looks excruciating.

4 Likes

the whole thing is excruciating! those are mutant monster hands! the right has at least 6 digits and the left (?!?)
oi!

3 Likes

Why is she sitting on the tire? Did whoever made that weird mutilated bike forget to put a seat on it?

1 Like

Let’s just say artistic license.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.