Commercially-available chairs in Star Trek

Originally published at: Commercially-available chairs in Star Trek | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I just want to see Will Riker rate these chairs based on how easy each one is to straddle from behind.

13 Likes

Canonically known as “the Riker Maneuver.”

10 Likes

At work, we’ve also just verbed his name.

“Wow, power move. Jerry just Rickered that chair when he got to the meeting.”

“I’m nervous about how this meeting will go. I think I’ll Ricker it right off the bat. Set the tone.”

6 Likes

These chairs generally existed in ~1968ish; or at least they were around my parent’s kitchen table (alongside orange decor and a yellow wall mounted rotary dial phone). Sibling even managed to almost neuter himself when he perpetually leaned backwards on one, it snapped apart and the rather narrow pedestal just missed ramming ‘home’.

5 Likes

I apparently have the magis bombo stool…

designed by stefano giovannoni for magis in 1996…

Hey I’d replicate me some classic Mid-Mod shit too if I had the technology, why not?

5 Likes

“Alt dot Nerd dot Obsessive”

1 Like

I never noticed this before! Was he the only one who did that regularly? Have they said why?

1 Like

The real-life explanation is that Jonathan Frakes suffered a back injury many years ago and as a result the “Riker Maneuver” became the least uncomfortable way for him to take a seat, especially for scenes where he had to do a large number of takes.

10 Likes

He pulled it off so well I honestly never noticed it. I’ve seen hundreds of hours of Star Trek.

1 Like

It did get a bit awkward whenever he had to take command on the main bridge.

7 Likes

And then there’s Worf’s chair he keeps in his quarters. I was never sure if it was a piece of modern art, a Klingon torture device, or ???

3 Likes

Eames and House of Denmark or GTFO!

@MadLibrarian: There was one scene, possibly an Alexander episode when he “sat” in that chair. I seriously thought it was part of his training equipment. :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Worf isn’t the only '90s TV character to sit in that thing.

worf-chair
friends-chair

4 Likes

… how about those Borg alcoves where we can sit while standing up :person_standing:

3 Likes

Nothing screams late 60’s/early 70’s décor like bright orange and burnt umber :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And yellow bottle-bottom glass panes, and forest green, and stylised daisies on everything.

Or was that just my house?

2 Likes

That was the glass on the side frame of our front door in Thornbury. I’m sure if it’s still there it has retro-value.

2 Likes

You’ll sometimes see Riker walking a bit stiffly, or resting one foot on a convenient rock or on a piece of the Enterprise set, possibly to relieve his back.

2 Likes