Company president calls a customer "Fatty McFat-Fat" when she gives them a bad review

When done well, my inner 8 year old will forever be thrilled by a fun fluffy super hero movie.

But I find movies that deconstruct or question/play with the super hero tropes far more satisfying.

I enjoyed Breakable, watching the superhero pieces fall into place in a non-super hero way. I enjoyed the Watchman calling out the entire genre. Birdman was beautiful look into heroes and ego and all sorts of feels. Kickass was a blast. I just finished The Umbrella Academy and liked it’s spin on the classic hero types. I haven’t seen Super, mentioned below, I will give it a watch soon.

Not sure if Scott Pilgrim fits in with those but was just watching some videos that break down subtle things nerdly awesome.

ETA: The guy in the original story is an ass. I hope he gets the karma he deserves.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the ol’ “it’s not our fault 'cause we use an outsourced customer service thingy in India” trope.

1 Like

I didn’t see the film, but quite love the comic book/graphic novel.

2 Likes

A proper version of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would be fun too – there is a whole franchise ready-written – prequels and sequels.

3 Likes

I enjoyed both versions.

I would be down for that. I have not read the series. Was the previously made movie off the mark from the source material?

Has anyone seen Doom Patrol? I’ve heard talk of it but it seems seems you need a subcription.

1 Like

Perfect! My eyes started to cross right about there…

I obey them, that doesn’t mean I respect them. Bastards.

3 Likes

Pah. Real nut job superheroes have a knife-wrench.

1 Like

Yes the movie was not at all like the books – Mina Stoker is the leader of the group for a start. And they are scattered with literary references to other fiction characters, including earlier incarnations of the League, from HG Wells and Jules Verne (and others of that era).

2 Likes

Well a reboot seems pretty plausible considering how much Hollywood prefers reboots over new content.

2 Likes

I mean… Logan.

Logan was fluffy dumb fun entertainment through the somber lens of aging. :wink:

1 Like

I thought it was well acted and dwelt on some weighty topics… But okay.

3 Likes

It was well acted. I dunno about weighty… maybe. Robin and Marian dwelt on similar themes in a way.

But with fewer exploding helicopters.

1 Like

I guess I just don’t get why something has to be in the “real” world to be considered not just dumb entertainment. Sci-fi and fantasy can be an effective means of exploring real problems.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. But Logan ain’t LeGuin’s The Dispossessed or Butler’s The Parable of the Sower, or Hulu’s adaptation of Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.

Maybe I just have it in for super hero flicks, and am unreasonable. :slight_smile:

Still… I watch superhero flicks, though.

1 Like

Side note…

The 2 Star Wars movies SLJ starred in are most likely the only movies where he did not say “Mot*******er” :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.