"Computer Engineering for Babies" book teaches Boolean logic with two buttons and an LED

Originally published at: "Computer Engineering for Babies" book teaches Boolean logic with two buttons and an LED | Boing Boing

5 Likes

They can sell these in university bookstores if they make another edition with “babies” replaced with “freshmen”.

16 Likes

But I eventually found a button that’s low profile to fit, easy to press, and has great tactical feel.

Hmmm - may have meant ‘tactile’.

4 Likes

Déjà vu (Reboing) @frauenfelder

2 Likes

index

3 Likes

I gave my 3yo nephew a copy of this book and he loves it. It was great to watch him figuring out the different rules of each circuit and learn to associate those rules with the word on the page.

11 Likes

Awesome!

Second Edition comes with a bookshelf that works as a bus: “FPGAs for Babies”

5 Likes

Next book is building gaming PCs for babies

3 Likes

When you can connect multiple books together, call me.

1 Like

Boo-Boo-Boolean: The First Year

1 Like

I’m holding out for a more progressive book that teaches non-binary logic.

Double Entry Accounting for Babies offers a more straightforward route to making your baby a viable and productive member of the workforce as early as possible. Both titles offer parents excellent options for sucking the joy out of childhood, though.

1 Like

except that understanding computers can have applications that aren’t just business oriented. But sure, same thing… /s

2 Likes

My dad was my business accountant for more than 25 years. Originally he did them by hand in a ledger including payroll by using tax tables. As time went on I convinced him to go with Quickbooks when it came out because sooner or later I would need to know how to do the books. But I had to teach him how to use a computer and the software, he was a quick study.

He would try and teach me but it was a slow go. Then he had a stroke and was unable to use the mouse very well so I would sit next to him and he would tell me what to do. The hardest part is the yearly corporate return. He wrote down step by step what to do at the end of the year and we did a couple years together, I thought I had it.

Then he passed away and the first year came up, I sat at the computer with his notes for 5 hours before crying and giving up. I got an accountant who had the form done in less than 30 minutes for 350 bucks.

Which reminds me, I’m about 3 months late in filing, they are not going to be happy.

You’re right, kids need to know basic financing and banking.

3 Likes

I have to disagree. Learning about stuff and figuring out how things work was my favorite part of childhood and brought me joy—and is still one of my favorite parts of life. Everyone’s mileage varies, of course.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that. I started playing with TTL logic gates at the age of 12, and I’ve never felt it wasn’t fun. Also I’ve never had to look for a job in my whole life.

4 Likes

The difference is that you did it on your own and discovered a whole world that you were interested in. I fear that this computer engineering for babies thing attracts the same sort of parents who had their preschoolers learn mandarin a few years ago so that they’d be competitive in the future job market. It’s not different than insisting a kid play competitive sports when they would rather play with logic gates.

We gave our kid all sorts of things to try, we never forced her to do anything.

My dad played the organ and piano, she showed interest, we got her a keyboard and signed her up for lessons, nope, not really interested.

In later grade school and high school we required she sign up for extra curricular activities but let her choose.

In other words, giving a kid or a baby a book like this and letting them figure it out is how kids figure out what it is they are interested in or good at. If they put it down get something else, if they show interest expand on it but always give options for other things.

Forcing them is one thing, giving them the tools to explore is another.

4 Likes

A dark, gritty report of the George Jetson story?

Push the button, George
No, I want to play with a ball
PUSH the BUTTON, George…

And then the BitCoinBros will buy them all for mining.

1 Like