"Computer generated" hoax robocalls claiming active shooters send Pittsburgh-area schools into chaos

Originally published at: "Computer generated" hoax robocalls claiming active shooters send Pittsburgh-area schools into chaos | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Angry Amy Sedaris GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

9 Likes

Damn, 80s Hollywood spy thrillers coming to life…

7 Likes

Because, for some arseholes, dead children aren’t enough misery.

12 Likes

The 911 infrastructure has made this far, far too easy - and our mass shooter culture has made the threat far, far too plausible. I’m only surprised this doesn’t happen constantly with students themselves doing this to get out of every unwanted test, or sociopaths just for shits and giggles.

9 Likes

Coming days after a mass shooter in Nashville killed three children and three teachers at a private school there

3 children, 1 principal, 1 teacher and 1 custodian.

3 Likes

This same thing happened in metro west Boston yesterday morning-- 28 middle/high schools were swatted with active shooter reports within a short time window. Ridiculous assholes.

5 Likes

Easy enough to send hoax calls to several schools before an actual event at another one. I hate that this even occurs to me, but if it does, you know that actual bad actors have already thought it.

11 Likes

This is terrorism plain and simple.

8 Likes

not familiar with the tech involved, but i’m assuming they are spoofing the number(s) the calls are coming from, like robot spam calls? wish there was a way to trace and track them…

2 Likes

I hate that the first thought I had was that this is a test run of that very thing by those very same bad actors.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.