Terror charges for teens making gun threats at high school

Originally published at: Terror charges for teens making gun threats at high school | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Is there any evidence this particular TikTok challenge actually exists? I can believe it does, because social media “influencers” are that dumb. However, I can also see these two dopes making it up later as an excuse and trying to inject a little moral panic as a distraction.

17 Likes

Three separate incidents at one school, but none (that we know of) elsewhere. You do seem to be on to something. :thinking:

10 Likes

I’m seeing a few different articles in google from the last couple years about an “active shooter challenge” that sounds at least similar to this case. I can imagine this being a knock-on from that.

4 Likes

Anyone stupid enough to actually attempt such a challenge is also stupid enough to start one themselves.

6 Likes

“If people, that you don’t even know, on the Internet, jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?”

“If it was trending.”

5 Likes

I haven’t heard of any schools in our area having similar incidents, but I can confirm that five libraries in Lake County, Illinois had bomb threats last week. We were not one of them, possibly because we don’t have a live “reference chat” on our website, but all the local libraries are taking this pretty seriously.

5 Likes

No and I removed it from the post. Looks like the kids made that part up and the school admin and cops just blithely repeated it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.