Concept for a tennis ball picker-upper

Is every Boing Boing thread being invaded by red-piller PUAs?

1 Like

Sounds very interesting - apparently this is what it looked like (skip to 1:43 for the game):

It looks like a common ancestor to Pelota Vasca, especially Xare:

Ah, that old addage: “When you’re a material science enthusiast, every problem looks like a potential alchemy experiment…”

4 Likes

We used to press the racket head on top of the ball, pull it back quickly. Racket drops a little and the ball rolls itself onto the racket head.

I used to turn up late without any kit, so I could sit inside and gamble my bus money on 3 card brag.

If you start playing tennis regularly, you will quickly adopt one of the common methods for picking up the ball. It’s not like there’s no alternative between velcro and bending over.
I just used the ball trapped between the racket and side of the shoe. Or, with a little practice, I could pop the ball into the air with the edge of the racket, or by hitting the ball into the ground with the flat part near the top. If I’m near the fence, I scoop the ball at the fence and catch the rebound.
The gif of the pro just using his feet must be a product of growing up playing soccer - beyond my abilities!
That said, my mom would totally buy this.

http://www.playaboule.com/6-ball-metal-petanque-set-Playaboule.aspx

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.