How tennis balls are made

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/19/how-tennis-balls-are-made.html

4 Likes

I was hoping to see a bounce test, alas

3 Likes

That is a beautifully shot video. My word.
That said, I’d never have thought there was that much handwork that goes into making tennis balls. So little automation, really.

12 Likes

I thought tennis balls had some sort of pressure in them, and maybe even filled with nitrogen to reduce leakage… But I couldn’t tell in the manufacturing steps where that happened. It seemed like the balls were just sealed together at room pressure.

3 Likes

Dear lord, how small are those workers’ hands? They looked like they were handling softballs, not tennis balls!

2 Likes

Fuzz attachment was practically skipped. Disappointment.

5 Likes

Yes, the laying on of the fuzz looked like the most skilled, and perhaps dangerous to the hands, of the processes. I wanted to see more. Watching the video left me frustrated.

5 Likes

Dear lord, how small are those workers’ hands?

Trump inspects the workers’ hands individually before hiring them.

10 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. A surprising amount of handling!

3 Likes

Whoa, whoa, whoa. No need to take it there.
Handling of balls” what kind of place do you think this is?

8 Likes

Yeah! Ball handling is for sports, and men, as in manly sports like football and basketball. Not for for the production of girly sport tennis balls. That’s just gross.

/s

2 Likes

Tennis balls, my liege.

5 Likes

Gotta go ask Mrs. Old if I can re-paper the living room.

10 Likes

Excellent. Now no longer have to make a clay court. I can just make the court out of rubber and tennis ball felt and use clay balls. I can’t see any way this could have any problems.

:smiley:

10 Likes

Fascinating!

15 Likes

I’m a little disappointed that none of those steps involved a golden retriever.

10 Likes

Can I break your brain on another thing?

Wilson also makes volleyballs like the one in Cast Away, in which “Wilson” is Tom Hanks’ constant and only companion, and the prospect of losing Wilson drives him into deep despair.

My theory: every time he said “Wilson”, he was thinking of Rita.

3 Likes

Well, when a wiffle ball and a piece of felt love each other very much…

4 Likes

I preferred this succinct presentation to the “How It’s Made” series, that gets a lot of minor facts wrong.

2 Likes

So many steps seemed to involve slightly leaning and bending across a machine…all day long. I mean, if you’re not going to automate, at least build the machines with the humans in mind…

5 Likes