"Conch island" formed by fishermen discarding shells

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/conch-island-formed-by-fis.html

5 Likes

That’s a lot of Conch!

Here’s some Hairy Bikers discovering an island made of oysters that started with the Romans:

One man’s trash is another’s island…

12 Likes

I can smell them just looking at the picture. Still better than a garbage patch though.

That’s one of the more French things I’ve ever seen, and I’ve visited France on multiple occasions. (Now I’m craving oysters.)

ETA: Here’s another one:

https://www.dbnsa.gov.tw/Scenery-Content.aspx?lang=2&sno=04006704

7 Likes

Here is the actual, precise location — (18.6875119, -64.2770530)

2 Likes
4 Likes

Sounds similar to Turtle Mound near Canaveral National Seashore

1 Like

Haven’t humans been building shell middens for millennia?

EDIT: Oh good - autoplay.

2 Likes

This island as well was built by man, it’s a doozy.

3 Likes

This island would pose quite a conundrum for the boys in Lord of the Flies.

3 Likes

Maybe they could sell the shells?

He sells seashells and the sea shore.

5 Likes

I feel like that would still be useful for something… soil amendment or making a building material or something.

2 Likes

Yes absolutely. Crushed shells make excellent substrate for an aquarium. It buffers the water so fish pee doesn’t turn it acidic.

4 Likes

Oysters though.

3 Likes

I am so very depressed whenever I read about this.

1 Like

Look at it as temporary hydrocarbon storage. We’re going to need that, someday, and the Pacific Ocean has been kind enough to concentrate it in a relatively small area./s

2 Likes

It’s not as metal as the classic skull pyramid; but it does say something when the detritus of your sustained slaughter makes it over the (admittedly lower) bound of ‘geological proportions’.

1 Like

I don’t know if I should tell you, but this is not even in the top ten of environmental catastrophes to worry about. Hell, that and landfills are basically our best effort at carbon sequestration.

1 Like

I’m pretty aware already, alas. It’s just when I think of our big blue marble, “floating garbage patch” should never enter into it.

But here we are.

2 Likes