Man paves road with unwashed clam shells, neighbors are sickened by stench

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/12/man-paves-road-with-unwashed-c.html

Well, I’d think after a couple weeks the scavengers will eat all the remains and the sun ill kill the microbes on the surface. Might get better.

From the looks of the news broadcast, it’s more like “neighbor” than “neighbors” – seems like one lady protesting. That said, who pours thousands of unwashed clamshells on a road?

Yeah I am sure it will sort itself in a couple weeks.

The bigger likely issue is that claim shells are going to have sharp fragments. May puncture a tire?

Sounds like the textbook entry for “dim-witted arsehole” just got a new illustration. Enjoy your 5 minutes of glory, David Rose – in the good ol’ U.S.A. that illustration is changed very often.

This too – whole clam shells are spiky and very strong, and could totally puncture tires if run over. People use shells as paving all the time – CRUSHED shells. I’m sure he saved a few bucks by buying unwashed shells from a fishery and will now have to pay a whoooole lot more to clean it all up.

Once the stink blows over it will be a very pretty road.
Near Point Reyes, there’s a driveway from Sir Francis Drake Blvd that is brilliant white from oyster shells. The oyster company is since gone, but road shines on.

Crushed shells are a common driveway material in coastal RI, CT, Cape Cod, etc. But they’ve been crushed and tumbled, so that the sharp edges have been worn down.

The exception is after a clam bake, people often throw their shells on the driveway and let the tires crush them down over time. But this is a couple buckets of fresh shells, not hundreds of feet of clam shells piled 4 inches deep.

Believe I’ll use my very first “Christ, what an asshole” here.

This right here. Some co workers who are in KY just asked me when discussing this story “clam shells for a driveway?!” To which I said…YUP. very common up here in RI especially near the coast. Its a natural stone-like material that holds up well to the salt-water air. To your exact point they are normally processed: cleaned, sterilized, then tumbled. Much how stone is worked over for the same use elsewhere.

Back in the day, they were used on Florida roads and highways, too. I used to love the look of it.

The smell will be gone after a few weeks/months/definitely by next spring, it’s not really a big deal.

bb is where I come for all my clam news.

Welcome to bOINGbOING!

15 posts in and still no innuendo.

I mean, um, there’s no reason for innuendo…

Until all of those maggots blossom into a apocalyptic fly infestation. It was like a living carpet!

You mean, like, “Are we sure she’s smelling the unwashed road clams?” Or something like that?

RSS version of this story accompanied by GIF of writhing maggots. Thanks, Boing Boing.

Hey now, I don’t always agree with the BB writers, but that’s a bit harsh.

Standing among unwashed clams is a good spot for a fish taco.

Maybe have a sausage party.

Good thing I don’t know what kind of innuendo you mean.