Confederate memorial removed to make way for John Lewis statue

Originally published at: Confederate memorial removed to make way for John Lewis statue | Boing Boing

15 Likes

good. john lewis was a hero.

22 Likes

There will likely be retaliatory vandalism from white supremacists, but this has to happen. We’re supposed to honour people who made things better, not losers who tried to make things worse.

21 Likes

Hey, that’s unfair, the Confederates were totally apolitical; they were just trying to maintain the status quo in the face of SJW Northern Aggression. :thinking: :neutral_face: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

13 Likes

I know, the Confederate South was just trying to be more civil about the Civil War.

16 Likes

Even good news is bad news these days-- you can bet self-righteous mouth-breathers will begin defacing the Lewis statue as soon as it goes up.

(Sorry to be such a downer-- I think maybe it’s time for me to take a break from reading or watching the news, at least until the warm weather is back.)

7 Likes

That makes me feel this good:

ezgif-5-09c07415fec0

15 Likes

You’ve got to get them in the correct order if you want any harmony.

10 Likes

Okay. Budget for a bronze animatronic statue of John Lewis, capable of defending itself. Sorted.

6 Likes

Out with the old, in with the new.

Seriously, this should not be controversial. What kind of country puts up statues to honor the losing side in a civil war (not to mention the side that started the war and the side that was pro-slavery)?

If people want to honor their heritage, there are lots of great things that have come out of the American South that are worth honoring; focus on the positive.

5 Likes

LOL. I’m glad you’re back.

5 Likes

50 bucks says immediately.

7 Likes

Not taking that bet.

I don’t feel good even wagering on something like that.

4 Likes

For context, Decatur is possibly the bluest town in Georgia. So while this is encouraging news, it’s not really surprising. I lived in Decatur for years and never knew this nondescript monument had anything to do with the Confederacy. I imagine that’s the only reason it lasted as long as it did.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.