Confederate memorial to be removed from Arlington National Cemetary

The party of Lincoln has been going through some really weird shit for the last few generations, that’s for sure.

10 Likes

That’s because it was taken over by the Dixiecrats in the seventies-to-eighties. Today’s GOP would cheer John Wilkes Booth.

9 Likes

It started earlier than that. The Dixiecrat standard-bearer Strom Thurmond switched to the Republican party in 1964.

11 Likes

I thought the same thing.

11 Likes

Well, bronze scrap is selling at an all-time high, just where in the Shenandoah is this statue ending up?
/s

7 Likes

Like the one in Baltimore, put up in 1948 in a city that was never part of the Confederacy. (They took it down after Charlottesville.)

9 Likes
4 Likes

Lets remove the bones of the traitors next.

5 Likes

Looks like the judge is a straight shooter. He’s basically warned the plaintiffs with FAFO should he determine their claims about disturbing grave sites (which seems to be the bad-faith basis of their complaint) to be exaggerated.

12 Likes

docket is here

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/66821279/defend-arlington-v-united-states-department-of-defense-dod/

though only one document is free, and it predates this injunction.

5 Likes

impede the Memorial’s eligibility for listing on the National Register of Historic Places

That sounds like a real reach. Next, maybe they’ll try squatters rights due adverse possession? :thinking:

8 Likes

Raise those claims now or forever hold your peace…

3 Likes

That Wikipedia article looks fos to me. ", the nation’s first constitution, in 1862. " They weren’t a nation, because they had not suceeded in seceeding. They were just a racist breakaway area.

7 Likes

Well, New Market is as fascist as a small town can be. So, yeah, i agree. It’s a fitting landing spot. Honestly, there are more Confederate battle flags than US flags in that town.

5 Likes

Seriously? This is a justification given for keeping the monument in place? From the linked article:

Generally, he said the memorial promotes reconciliation between North and South, and removing it erodes that reconciliation.

Promotes reconciliation between North and South? For a war that ended nearly 160 years ago? I think any reconciliation that was going to happen has already happened.

13 Likes

The losers are still trying to dictate the terms of their defeat.

16 Likes

Ashley Olsen Halloween GIF by Filmeditor

3 Likes

Perhaps the sculptor was inspired by France’s traditional artistic depictions of the ‘spirit’ of the French Revolution… not sensing the irony nor the strong possibility that, given half a chance, a French revolutionary would have shat directly into the open mouth of a Confederate general or two.

8 Likes

… President Ulysses Grant expressed no objections

8 Likes
3 Likes