Confederate memorial to be removed from Arlington National Cemetary

Originally published at: Confederate memorial to be removed from Arlington National Cemetary | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Good. The traitor slavers deserve no memorials.

24 Likes

The fascists and racists and Republicans in general will whinge, but who cares? Traitors and insurrectionists don’t deserve to be honoured.

20 Likes

What makes Youngkin sad makes me happy.

Also, I used to go to Arlington on a pretty regular basis. I never knew there was a confederate memorial there. Good riddance to it. Robert E. Lee’s house stands alone, then.

19 Likes

Waiting for the supporters of traitors to appear. For what its worth I grew in the south but at no time thought the resurrection was something to celebrate.

14 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

13 Likes

The details around lower part should have caused head-scratching when it was installed. “Why are we showing soldiers leaving home and marching off to war, against the United States?”

21 Likes

So much bullshit on that thing…

The fallen figure of a woman, also representing “The South”, leans on a shield emblazoned with the words “The Constitution” as a symbol of what the UDC believed the South fought for.

11 Likes

calling it a “fitting backdrop for Ezekiel’s legacy.”

The only fitting backdrop would be a target range. Of course, being metal I’d worry about ricochet, but still…

11 Likes

The “just following orders” inscription by Randolph Harrison McKim is BS too.

7 Likes

This is my solution for the Confederate carving on Stone Mountain. Line up a bunch of artillery on the viewing green, aimed at the carving. Then charge to let people have a go at blasting them.

The 2nd Amendment nuts and Lost Causers will be hilariously conflicted, but that carving will be gone in a week, nonetheless.

13 Likes

Um… as someone who lives not TOO far away from there… not exactly sure I’m a fan of there being heavy artillery fire in the area, especially not on my daily commute… :thinking: even if it would get rid of the carving.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s fair.

6 Likes

Given the purpose of Arlington in seizing the home of a traitor to his country and turning into a cemetary for the victims of the war he fought, the concept of including a statue praising the confederacy and their love of the Constitution they tried to trash is par for the re-written histories after reconstruction failed and the south won the peace. Glad to hear it’s going and would prefer Youngkin shove the damn thing up his ass and ride it back to his state house.

11 Likes

You know, I am not completely opposed to a generic marker/memorial for Confederate dead. An inscribed stone, an angel weeping, something solemn that just acknowledges the dead I could find reasonable.

THIS. This bullshit. What the fuck. I bet I know when this thing was made. (bangs paws on the keyboard).

“Well, there’s your problem.”

Never should have been put up, tear it down and melt it into Chucky Cheese tokens.

14 Likes

That’s the thing about Confederate monuments: most of them were built by later generations to send a message that white supremacy was there to stay.

18 Likes

Use AP rounds to guarantee punctures. Even so, if it’s a bronze statue regular jacketed slugs should dent or penetrate the material.

8 Likes
10 Likes

They can die mad.

14 Likes

Maybe they can resign as well as be resigned? :thinking:

12 Likes