Judge blocks removal of Confederate statue from Arlington National Cemetary

Originally published at: Judge blocks removal of Confederate statue from Arlington National Cemetary - Boing Boing

5 Likes

If not for the Confederacy the place never would have become a mass burial site at all.

36 Likes

Cross-post, the upshot being I don’t think this is anything to worry about:

The judge seems to be giving them the rope to hang themselves, and this takes time.

25 Likes

We’ll see what happens on Wednesday. From the Reuters article:

The judge set a hearing on the matter for Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia.

10 Likes

It’s a BS argument made by racist arseholes. Visit a cemetery often enough and there’s a good chance you’ll come upon digging and maintenance machinery and crews operating right next to graves. Because it’s a cemetery,

30 Likes

Does it? He’s a “tough on crime” judge who was known for handing out pretty harsh sentences, especially if it was someone’s second or more conviction. He was nominated to the federal bench by Trump. Nah, I am not giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. The claim is bullshit, everyone knows it’s bullshit, and any reasonable judge would have dismissed it as such.

14 Likes

Yeah, this kind of temporary restraining order is fairly easy to get, but they’d better have something solid by tomorrow, like they promised, or the judge will be pissed.

The ANC might bring in the contractor to explain how they do these kind of jobs all the time, and this one is No Big Deal.

Intangibles will be raised: history, tradition, honor, the genius loci, etc, but lets see if any of those fly.

10 Likes

We’ll know for sure tomorrow! Enough Trump-appointed judges have gone against expectation that I’m not willing to write him off entirely.

5 Likes

I’m not writing him off, I’m just not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I still don’t think the temporary injunction should have been granted.

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure the people in those graves don’t care.

10 Likes

Asking myself who applied for the order and why …

a group called Defense Arlington filed suit accusing the Pentagon of skirting federal environmental law in its rush to take down the Arlington monument and proceeding in a manner that would disturb adjacent gravesites.

4 Likes

If there’s some ungodly thing buried under that perhaps it needs to be disposed of properly, once and for all.

I hear Onkalo might have some available spots.

5 Likes

Assuming they fought and died for a country that espouses equality and liberty for all, free from oppression and all that … likely they would support the removal.

6 Likes

18 Likes
15 Likes

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, who disagrees with the decision to remove the memorial, made arrangements for it to be moved to land owned by the Virginia Military Institute at New Market Battlefield State Historical Park in the Shenandoah Valley.

Be a shame if it fell off the truck en route. Real shame.

4 Likes

So much debris on those roads. Not sure how it rolled across all those lit acetylene torches.

3 Likes

Defend Arlington is appealiing to the DC circuit

43 Dec 20, 2023 Notice of Appeal to DC Circuit

44 Dec 21 2023 Transmission of Notice of Appeal and Docket Sheet to USCA

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/66821279/defend-arlington-v-united-states-department-of-defense-dod/

the docket entries require a fee which I have no iintention of paying

From the article:

Alston issued an 18-page opinion Tuesday evening to lift the injunction. He said the allegations that the removal efforts amounted to grave desecration “were, at best, ill-informed and, at worst, inaccurate.”

I respectfully disagree, Your Honor. At worst they were blatant lies, maybe even rising to the level of perjury?

Those bridges carrying roads hundreds of feet above a deep river can be treacherous. I suppose the folks who filed the suit to block the removal could crowdfund a recovery effort for the smithereens that are left at the bottom of the river. It’s just lucky the statue was the only casualty of the accident.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.