'Confederate' militia detains migrants at gunpoint — with Border Patrol's tacit OK, they claim

Looks like more big talk from people that don’t live in the area, or want them shipped to their city??

1 Like

As with everything else, the roots of this were already there before the rise of Trump.

See thread:

15 Likes

He sure as fuck helped make it even worse, though.

17 Likes

I remember reading about these border militia freaks in National Geographic 10 years ago and thinking “this has got to be just a dozen roided out fuckwits. They’ll probably all get arrested in a few months”.

11 Likes

instead it just gets worse and worse. and more and more institutionally normalized. at this point we might as well hire them as paramilitary contractors and seal the deal.

this news has got to be some of the most depressing ive heard in a while. and there’s been so much bad news recently.

11 Likes

Ten years ago it was astounding and unbelievable. Now it’s indeed been so normalized, I wouldn’t be surprised if the CBP issued these guys some kind of illegal sheriff’s deputy type badge thing.

Li’l brownshirts

10 Likes

Almost straight out of Steven Brust & Skyler White’s The Skill of Our Hands.

2 Likes

that’s tents and bottled water, not guns and handcuffs

11 Likes

If this was literally any other group besides right-wing white men doing this, they’d either be going to jail for decades or immediately shot dead by the cops.

9 Likes

I saw that “makes me want to slap his ass” comment. To put it in full context, people should know he said it right after “look at this guy carrying his daughter”. So a dad carrying his (4 y/o?) daughter after what was probably a hundreds mile long journey makes him want to slap the dad’s ass.

6 Likes

Maybe the logic is that migrants who bring their children are endangering or abusing them

It could be argued as a citizen’s arrest. Each state has slightly different rules on when you can perform a citizen’s arrest, like not all of them require the offense to be a felony. I think a moderately competent lawyer in the right court could get these militia idiots off a terrorism charge.

They are probably guilty of trespassing, if the property owners want to charge them. Or the federal government should charge them for trespass and illegal firearms possession when they inevitably go onto federal lands. The whole kidnapping and terrorism angle of taking these guys down isn’t going to go anywhere.

No, that’s not how I read it. What I saw was that the migrant guy was holding his kid in a weird way, like he was just moving her from one position to another, and the Antonio didn’t see the whole thing. Or, we all didn’t see the whole thing, and Antonio was just so disgusted with the whole scene, and his mouth was starting to foam up and he just wanted to strike something so bad! Let’s not apologize for him with speculations.

My point here is just that one thing leads to another. First, he gets himself (and his followers) all into a frenzy, then they start talking smack. Then they actually start smacking people. Then it escalates from there. Then we are back to 1941 Europe.

1 Like

Anyone who even hung out on the fringes of underground culture in the 80s and 90s was aware of the racist skin problem. If anyone thought those groups just went away in the 2000s were kidding themselves. They stuck around, morphed a bit, and kept recruiting.

I think he gave it more cohesion and publicity than it’s had in a long time. They had a moment in the early 90s with all those movies about neo-nazi skins, but nothing like this current wave, which has given oxygen and support to a variety of different groups and made them feel more empowered by having “one of their own” (publicly, anyways) in the highest office in the land.

Right?

12 Likes

Update:

11 Likes

OK, but what about “Confederate”? Am I the only one who can see that BoingBoing (and, apparently, only BoingBoing) is calling them “Confederate”? Where the fuck did that come from? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

and yet accurate.

con·fed·er·ate

1. a person one works with, especially in something secret or illegal; an accomplice.
5 Likes

ha. This a comment I copied from another outlet the other day because it so encapsulates what I’ve been thinking “…We have to beat them before they get up the nerve to come murder us all. Many of them are fantasizing about it if you listen to them.”

How long indeed. Check those militia shitheads in Vancouver WA wearing the pinochet did nothing wrong t-shirts.

They’re waiting for their chance (orders) to start murdering us.

3 Likes

Not Confederates but QAnfederates.

9 Likes

\begin{sarcasm}
I’m a white male too, so if I were to call them terrorists I must be right, right?
\end{sarcasm}

What if someone in the group was not committing any crime? Say if a U.S. citizen were with the group walking in a place that they had every right to be, and these idiots were to detain an innocent person? Are you liable for anything if you try to make a bogus citizen’s arrest? [If not, why aren’t people going to Trump rallies and attempting to place him under citizen’s arrest?]

3 Likes