Congressional Republicans say Equifax breach was "entirely preventable," blames "aggressive growth strategy" but reject measures to prevent future breaches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/11/gop-obstruction.html

4 Likes

tumblr_p40j6cWQcQ1vaqoiqo1_400

14 Likes

American politics since 1980:

Democrats and Republicans: “This is a terrible and entirely preventable problem!”

Dems: “Here are some common sense ways government can help fix it.”

Republicans: “Noooo! Regulation of corporate persons ba-a-a-d. Road to Serfdom”

14 Likes

Given their concern and sincere interst in good faith now, it’s somewhat surprising that Equifax didn’t prepare a response in the 15 months before the breach.

/s

3 Likes

Equifax had a massive data breach then charged its victims $5@ to freeze their credit and began to advertise on TV and other places that they’d protect you from the Dark Web (boogita-boogita) with Rudy Giuliani.

Gad, wotta racket these guys have got going. Obnoxious criminals all the way down.

5 Likes

IMO, “good faith” and “Equifax” are mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

This says it all, as far as I’m concerned. Any company which uses Rudy is no company I with which I would choose to do business.

2 Likes

I find it maddening that they still sometimes refer to us as customers…we were the product!

The primary business of Equifax is credit reporting. You don’t have any choice on being a customer of theirs.

1 Like

American politics since 1980:

Public: “This is a terrible and entirely preventable problem!”

Left: “Here are some common sense ways government can help fix it.”

Party in Power: “Noooo! Regulation of corporate persons ba-a-a-d. Road to Serfdom”

The GFC was set up by Clinton’s deregulation of the finance sector.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.