Congress's private health club spared from shutdown by Boehner: "essential"

WTF? I’d be the last one to defend Congress’ behavior! I think maybe YOU missed the point - which is that what you see there is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. That kind of privilege runs through those agencies and well past the point of elected officials only taking advantage of their positions.

I could certainly check on that particular gym. But, meh. Not gonna make calls just because you insult me. My bet is, you didn’t even realize there was a gym there to BE questioned. You can google, if you’re that interested. Or check Congressman Coburn’s rather scathing report on that particular agency and its wastes. He had plenty to say on the subject.

Even if the CDC did keep their gym open while furloughing critical staff—an accusation that you have thus provided zero evidence to support—it still wouldn’t approach Congress’ hypocrisy since the CDC isn’t the body which caused the government shutdown.

3 Likes

Tom Coburn would not be my go-to guy for accurate information on anything…

Edit - To wit “Lesbianism is so rampant in some of the schools in southeast Oklahoma that they’ll only let one girl go to the bathroom. Now think about it. Think about that issue. How is it that that’s happened to us?”

2 Likes

Didn’t say I like Coburn, nor even approve of his views in a general way at all. (You sure he wasn’t being sarcastic? Because…he can totally go there, as well as some crazy places.)

In any case, the particular report I mentioned dealt with the incredible waste of funds going on at CDC - and that was all completely documented. It was possibly one of the worst MS Word Documents I have ever seen, but they did have their facts straight. That agency is one in particular which has been extremely vocal in claiming that this shutdown is a threat to everyone because essential services aren’t getting handled. Because, flu and stuff. Oh yeah - and because you saw ‘Outbreak’.

And yet, it is one agency (also under the management of Apple Glitch Sebelius) which wastes hundreds of millions and has yet to cure one single disease in its entire history. But, has a private gym which we all paid for. The principle is precisely the same as for Congress - insisting they are hugely essential to our society, producing very little, but…gym. On our dime. When the argument at hand is purportedly healthcare accessibility provided through the federal government.

Get it? The feds’ track record in providing for the public health and healthcare? Not so very slick on many counts. Makes one wonder exactly what is really being fought for (and against) here.

“and has yet to cure one single disease in its entire history”

I don’t think you understand the purpose of the CDC. That’s like saying that FEMA has failed to prevent a single hurricane.

Edit - also, link to the report? I am curious to read it now.

Edit Edit - Never mind. Found it. Seems like it’s a combination of a little quibbling over very minor expenses (oh no! They have nice things in their building that cost $1,500), a little not understanding that things (like furniture and construction) cost more than they did 30 years ago, a little not liking the idea of education and outreach programs, a lot of not understanding epidemiology, and mostly “I disagree with the policy goal, therefore this is waste (i.e. complaining about any funding that goes towards examining and debunking abstinence only education)”. Of course, I admit to only skimming it.

5 Likes

You have a point, in that the stated mission isn’t to cure.

As the nation’s health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health threats. To accomplish our mission, CDC conducts critical science and provides health information that protects our nation against expensive and dangerous health threats, and responds when these arise.

Although, I would point out that each and every state also has a public health office in operation. The CDC does not perform food production inspections and such - that’s FDA. Or the state where the operation is located. And, they all have each others’ phone numbers. Nobody has to die just because the CDC is on furlough. (And mentioning the CDC in a comparison to hurricanes is just…unfortunate. Katrina. They didn’t even bother to show until long after the ‘festivities’ had begun.)

No, sorry. I do not have a link to the report handy. I have a copy of it, though long since buried on a drive at another location. I assume it can be still be had by googling it, tho? Let me know if you can’t get it that way, and I’ll look around for it when I get to that other drive, k?

FWIW, I do not merely make unfounded accusations as to the CDC’s failures. I participated in a GAO investigation of CDC’s responses to particular OEH issues. They lost the funding connected to those acts as a result of that investigation, and deservedly so. They are highly focused on their ability to get press - which can be used legitimately. It can just as easily be used to pump their own internal agenda, though, and has been.

At the moment all we’re hearing is a lot of threatening and scary-sounding language in their press release - no numbers, no demographics, not enough to get all excited about yet, anyway. Ratio of epidemic to furlough stuff? Pretty low. And mentions they’re only down about 33% of staff. That would be federal employees, and not include contractors (about 60% of total people) or fellows on internships. IOW - there are literally thousands of people there, even with a furlough.

“I participated in a GAO investigation of CDC’s responses to particular OEH issues. They lost the funding connected to those acts as a result of that investigation, and deservedly so.”

So, the system works?

2 Likes

Don’t forget that it is guaranteed to instantly remove 8-10 lbs of ugly fat.

‘The system’ is a pretty darned broad stroke. GAO appears to work ok in that regard. Although, tens of thousands were harmed getting to that point…so, ‘works’ is a pretty broad stroke, too.

Edit, Too: Um. I’m not sure what you think you found, but that bears no relation to the report I mentioned, which is talking 100’s of millions and direct failures in Public Health measures.

And no, I don’t need any instruction as to what an epidemiologist is or does, thanks. Well aware. Cannot understand why you are bent on pimping CDC’s failures and excesses, though? Just trolling, or personal interest of yours?

Well member’s do pay a fee for access to the gym.

“Gym membership was once free for congressmen and -women. But in 1992 the Democratically controlled Congress instituted a $400 annual fee to counter allegations that politicians lead cushy lives on the public dime. Relatedly, all representatives, senators, and their spouses used to have access to the gyms even after they retired or were voted out. However, in 2007, alumni who went on to work as lobbyists were banned.”

The cafeteria facility has a seating capacity of about 750
persons and, in addition to the main cafeteria, includes a private
buffet room and a private service dining room.
The swimming pool
is 20 feet by 60 feet with depths ranging from 3 feet to 10 feet.
The men’s gymnasium includes:

1. A main room about 110 by 48 feet which has five handball
    courts.
  2. An exercise room.
  3. A hydrotherapy room.
  4. A masseur’s room.
  5. Rest and quiet areas.
  6. Locker and shower facilities.
  7. A storage area.
    Equipment for the gymnasium includes a rowing machine, exerrow (ex-
    ercise) machine, double bicycle trainer, chinning bar, pulley
    weight, mats, Indian club set, striking bag, training bag, dumbbell
    set, medicine balls, and sun lamps. The women’s gymnasium con-
    sists mainly of several individual rooms and is more in the nature
    of an exercise facility than a conventional gymnasium.

I highly doubt that gym breaks even on a $33/month membership fee. Plus it’s not like all the people who bought annual passes to the National Park system get to enjoy all the places they paid to support.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.